• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

blinking overdrive light

hi i noticed when i drove home today my car sounded like i was driving with out the overdrive on. then i hit the passing gear and the engine reved up high but wasnt making the car move any faster basicly it sounded the car went into neutral. but when i do normal driving it does allright but it still sounds like it's out of overdrive. i havent checked the fluids yet cause its dark out. could this be my speed sensor?

.... could this be my speed sensor?
What was your speedometer doing? It would only be the vehicle speed sensor if the speedometer was going crazy, like from left to 130 and back very fast or just at the left. How old is the ATFLuid? If more than 2 years, then try changing that first.

ok i called autozone and shucks here and they wont have it till the 4th. so it looks like i have to do it that way. i did take it to autozone and have it scanned nothing came up except my p0442 code which is my gas cap. so can i drive my car like this for now will the fourth? i drive 25 miles to work one way. the highest speed limit is 55mph. i can get the car up to 55 it's just the engine runs up high. if i do 45 it's allright. im gonna try doin what a ceger told me start out on first then bring it up to seconds then back into drive with the over drive off. thanks for your replies.

Most likely your Torque Converter Clutch is slipping, causing the fluid to overheat. If this is the case, you'll need a new torque converter and valve body. Scan the codes to confirm.

update on blinking over drive light

update on blinking over drive light

Most likely your Torque Converter Clutch is slipping, causing the fluid to overheat. If this is the case, you'll need a new torque converter and valve body. Scan the codes to confirm.
well i tried starting my car off in 1st then moved up to second and it was still in first gear put it back up into drive and i guess it went into third and this is when the car was moving. i also put the car into second while driving and second doesnt catch at all it has some catch but not enough to move the car and my passing gear when i hit it the car goes into neutral.

blibking over drive light **update 1/10**

blibking over drive light **update 1/10**

update i took my transmission it they told me my second and 4th gear out on my atx they said it's the drum going bad never heard of a drum in the transmission. should i try getting the sensor still or my transmission is about to blow? all aamco did was test drove it and they told me it needs to be rebuilt.

Take it to a GOOD independent tanny shop, not AAMCO (All Automatics Must Come Out) for a diagnosis. Your experience with your local AAMCO sounds all to familiar, a cursory exam that is always followed by the same recommendation.

Yes, there are parts in automatics called "drums".

You really need a high quality, professional diagnosis. Be prepared to pay a diagnostic fee for it. All we can do is make guesses (some educated, others not) based on your very limited and incomplete descriptions. Your tranny needs to be inspected by someone who understands how it is suppesed to work and can tell what is and is not working.

Steve

Last edited:
Back