• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

where can i get it

You know we have a branch pretty much dedicated to this unit right in the PCM Tuning? This is by far the most popular unit. Tons of good info there.

You can buy it on www.brenspeed.com. Brent has ran group buys here before. Theres some info on his website about what it does as well if you want the short version instead of not reading the loads of info everyone has posted about it here.

where can i get the (xcal 2 /tune) and what does it do exactly.please let me know.

I can tell from your post that tuning is not something for you. It takes a lot of knowledge about cars. Most experienced people only deal with smaller things and fuel (Nothing to do with timing etc.)

I would say you only really need to get an xcal2 if you are doing some serious modifications, 3L, Turbo, Super, NO2. If those are some things you have done or plan to do the xcal2 will be necessary to alter the PCM to accomodate those modifications. At that point I would turn it over to someone with much more experience, say Warmonger, or an SCT dealer to tune for you.

As far was what it does...it plugs right into the OBDII port under the dash and flashes the cars computer. So when you are working with a tuner, they will send you a tune, you transfer that tune to the xcal2 and then use the xcal2 to load it onto the car. The xcal2 also has the ability to data log, which, sorry if you already know this, means it will monitor and record the output of user specified vehicle sensors. Tuners, will then use that data to make adjustments and fine tune your vehicle.

I can tell from your post that tuning is not something for you. It takes a lot of knowledge about cars. Most experienced people only deal with smaller things and fuel (Nothing to do with timing etc.)

Even someone that doesnt know anything about tuning can figure out a X-cal 2, since they arent doing the tuning. Just plug it in and upload the tune. Now the PRP on the other hand... :ponder:

I would say you only really need to get an xcal2 if you are doing some serious modifications, 3L, Turbo, Super, NO2.

I don't quite agree with this.

The xcal and tune is beneficial for someone with all the bolt on mods. Meaning complete exhaust, open filter, opt. TB...getting a tune will def. give ya some extra power. Not to menton in ATX you can have your shift points changed, and in a MTX you can have your fuel shut-off or rev limiter changed.

I don't quite agree with this.

The xcal and tune is beneficial for someone with all the bolt on mods. Meaning complete exhaust, open filter, opt. TB...getting a tune will def. give ya some extra power. Not to menton in ATX you can have your shift points changed, and in a MTX you can have your fuel shut-off or rev limiter changed.

Yeah, I would place the FULL menu of bolts ons in the catagory of serious modifications. The xcal2, in my opinion, would be a waste of money for someone with simple stuff like intake and removed resonator. Yeah, it would be an improvement over stock tune, shoot, even without ANY mods you could improve upon the stock tune with it.

I don't know if I will help with the controversy but...

A tune for our cars really only does a couple of things.

1. it changes basic settings like rpm, turns on/off wanted/unwanted stuff like downstream o2s and egr, etc.

1a. It allows changing things that are simple swap-in, like injectors, so not much differnt than what I said in point #1

2. It adjusts the air fuel ratio of the engine through the following:
----Dials in the MAF calibration better so it reads accurately (and many don't even stock)
----Adjusts the basefuel tables to command the correct A/F ratio once the MAF is dialed in

3. Adjust timing and/or IMRC related timing and functions

So you only have control over the engine timing, sensors and switches. Everything else is NOT under control. So lets say you had a great dyno tune on a fully stock 2.5L where all they did was clean up the air fuel and maybe played with the timing,. Then you buy a set of headers and install them and come to me asking for a tune to compensate for them.
First thing I'd do is tell you that NO retuning is necessary.
Because all headers/exhaust mods will do is free up the exhaust and maybe allow better cylinder filling because the exhaust is able to come out easier.
The ONLY possible consequence of this is an increase in airflow on the intake side right? So that means that the MAF will read the increase of air and the PCM will add fuel automatically. Simple, like it is supposed to work.

So will tell you that ANY intake/exhaust mod you do that does not change the MAF/INJ/or other hardwired parts to the pcm will not require a new tune. ONLY if you have increased your incoming air capacity beyond the stock MAFs capability to measure, or beyond the stock fuel systems capability to provide fuel would you need a new tune, and at that point you need new hardware and then a tune to dial it all in.

So I say to you that a tune is just as relevant on a basic engine if it is done right, but then you no longer need to keep redoing IF it was done right the first time. Now if you had a nice tune and popped in a 3L(but kept same maf/inj), then it would still work but on the other hand there are things that can/should be done in the tune to help the 3L run better.

However, a stock SVT pcm/inj/maf or basically the stock SVT injection system is perfectly capable of running a 3L swap. Period.

You know, I was just going to post a new thread about whether retuning the car everytime a new mod was done because I was thinking along the same lines you were. Thanks for clearing it up.

Same way you are going to pay me...via electronic email/internet. :D

Seriously though, you get an XCAL2, even a blank one, and then I'll start your tuning service by sending you tunes after you send me my standard $200 fee.
I'll continue to provide the tuning service until we get the tune dialed in and verified with wideband O2 datalog and the driveability is good. At that point service is ended but I'll always be available for more questions.
If you do major future mods that require a retune, then you would have to pay a subseqent fee but it would be discounted since you already used me and I have all the data worked out by that time.
Ask any of my customers who have retained me already. You don't just get one generic Fkn tune from me. You will get a preliminary tune and then after datalogging we will begin to fine tune until we get it right.

With that said, don't come to me with a broken car and expect a tune to fix it. Your car must be in good working mechanical condition. If we discover in the course of tuning that something needs fixed you agree to fix it or we end the service as I will not ask you to fix something unless it is affecting the ability to tune.
If that is fair enough, AND if I have your pcm code, then feel free to get yourself an XCAL2 and then contact me.

xcal

xcal

I know enough about cars.I just wasnt sure if the axcal was just in upgrade or what.Now that i have called www.brenspeed.com. and told them what my plans were they are sending me a hand held programer.Once i get this i will not have to take it anywhere to get it tuned. Thanks for your input.

I know enough about cars.I just wasnt sure if the axcal was just in upgrade or what.Now that i have called www.brenspeed.com. and told them what my plans were they are sending me a hand held programer.Once i get this i will not have to take it anywhere to get it tuned. Thanks for your input.

Hahaha, I'm glad you know a lot about cars. To take a single tune and call it a day, no testing, no datalogs,....not my choice. But true you don't have to take it anywhere but do you want to know if the tune is any good?

If that is fair enough, AND if I have your pcm code, then feel free to get yourself an XCAL2 and then contact me.

That's what I will be doing, as soon as I receive my XCAL2 (and poke my head in the passenger's side to figure out what my PCM code). :)

One question, Tom:
Is there any way to keep my current stock PCM code? For the WRX community, the Cobb Accessport (same idea, I believe) comes with stock map you can download when you want to bring the car back to stock. And, when I need to sell the car (not likely but still good to know) will the tune remain with the car or has to come off the car?

Thanks

Back