• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

here's a GOOD question, help!

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
okay. short and sweet, here goes:

Can i machine the cyl. heads down on a 3L head on a 3L block to raise compression without piston to valve clearance issues? i plan on running CAT stage4 cams just to be clear there. let me know if you have any idea on what i can do. i do not know if the 3L pistons have valve releifs but i swear some pics ive seen had them. any ideas?

So you're planning to run a super aggressive NA Cam as well as a turbo???:rolleyes:

i dont have a turbo....... i plan on running a super aggressive N/A setup with a larger amount of nitrous on it.

I see.... Its just all your threads about superchargers throwing belts, and I noticed talk about intercoolers in burritas thread.... Threw me off.

i'm working on the thomas knight setup but i am most likely selling it once i prove it's reliability. i'd much rather do the nitrous setup :)

WOOHOO someone else might be the test mule instead of me :D.
If I decide to go ahead and install the cams during next winter I was going to do pistons and all that good stuff but have decided the hell with it. Good luck with your project and gettign the cams.

Aaron

Last edited:
lol. how much did you end up paying? also, there's 5 options? do you have the exact part# of yours?

I could tell but that would be to nice of me :D and after all I am a snob :crazy: !............................. You have a PM.

Aaron

Last edited:
According to DemonSVT's site you can only safely deck the block or heads approximately .006" before valve clearance becomes and issue. Yes, the newer style 2001+ pistons have valve reliefs in them, but that still doesn't really help with your clearance when you're trying to remove enough material to bump compression. You'd probably be more effective by going the hybrid route using the 2.5 head with smaller chamber to raise the compression that way assuming you don't want to go the route of high compression pistons. Also, if you run a cam with any additional lift in it, you'll be bringing the valves even closer to the pistons when fully open.

Rick

You'll lose about 0.125cc chamber volume for each 0.001in of material that you remove during surfacing.
Taking off, say .003" will only raise your compression ratio by about 0.06 points.
Maximum safe limit is .006”

The short answer is No.

Back