• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

E0 or E1 ?

Ge guys, no one remembers my posts on the topic of E0 and E1?

E0 is a CEG term, not a Ford term.

E1 was the term that was applied by Ford for the 98.5 SVT and stands for Evolution 1. It does not apply to the later cars, as they also continued to evolve.

If you keep the trend of the numbering system, then the 99 would be an E2 and the 00 would be an E3.

Ge guys, no one remembers my posts on the topic of E0 and E1?

E0 is a CEG term, not a Ford term.

E1 was the term that was applied by Ford for the 98.5 SVT and stands for Evolution 1. It does not apply to the later cars, as they also continued to evolve.

If you keep the trend of the numbering system, then the 99 would be an E2 and the 00 would be an E3.
Recently, maybe a few days ago, you posted about it again. I tried to find it just now but couldn't :eek: . I must be losing my touch (or maybe 3:30 is just too early to wake up). :laugh:

Edit. Post 13 on this thread.

Big Jim - I read your post , but I don't agree that the following years of SVT would be called E2 & E3 ... they didn't really "evolve" as much as "continue" with a couple SMALL changes . To me , and most of the CEG community , E1 = 98.5 & up . Always has , always will ...

Last edited:
the E0 has shorter non rounded run around the gas tank and if you put it on a 98.5 or later it hits the gas tank. Trust me I know as mine hits

Any problem with doing this? We tried putting an E0 exhaust on my brothers 98.5, but didn't think it was wise to let the pipe be in direct contact with the gas tank.

I think those that started the terminology are gone and all of the new people weren't around when it started. Allen, Big Jim, Steeda and I are all old schoolers. As far as I know the E1 is 98.5+. Due to it's changes and style of wheels.

Big Jim - I read your post , but I don't agree that the following years of SVT would be called E2 & E3 ... they didn't really "evolve" as much as "continue" with a couple SMALL changes . To me , and most of the CEG community , E1 = 98.5 & up . Always has , always will ...

So the boost of 5 HP for the 99 doesn't qualify as another evolution? Also the introduction of tan interiors and a green color choice? The change from 205/55ZR16 tires to 215/50ZR16 tires.

And the increase in compression with the slight decrease in displacement for 00?

But then again, the cars were decontented a little each year as well.

E1 no clock

99 thinner sunvisors, no bezel around the trunk release, inadequate glue holding the dash together.

00 returnless fuel system (actually pulled ahead a few months so some of the late 99 cars were plagued with this too).

I don't remember if it was 99 or 00, but the glove box door was decontented to remove the wonderful mechanism that counterbalanced the door and made it smoother to open. When decontented, the door just falls open, no dampening.

It can be easily argued that the 99 and 00 also represented further evolution.

However, my main contention is that E1 only applies to the 98.5 and not to the 99 and 00.

The one big improvement of the E1 (98.5) over the E0 is the front strut valving. I do like the way my car handles with the late struts installed. The difference in wheels is strictly a matter of taste, both look really good, and the change from Goodyear Eagel GSC tires to Goodyear Eagle F1 tires is insignificant.

I like my E0, but there is no need to get into debate about which year is best. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

If I were buying one today, I would look for as nice of one as possible, and that would more likely be a newer one, since it hasn't had as much time to be neglected yet.

Any problem with doing this? We tried putting an E0 exhaust on my brothers 98.5, but didn't think it was wise to let the pipe be in direct contact with the gas tank.

E1 style SE exhaust vs E0 style SVT exhaust:

DSC00321smaller.jpg

e0 SVT exhaust on the 98.5 car:
DSC00334smaller.jpg

I wasn't comfortable with the rubbing so I Got rid of it.

Back