• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

6 speed mondeo (continued from old forums)

chrisl311

CEG'er
hey i was reading the sticky on the 6 speed focus tranny on the old forums, and people were talking about using the mondeos transmission, but some questions never got answered i assume because it was back in august before the move over. but yea, like the title says i was wanting some more info on this? Does anybody know relatively how much these cost? or would it even be worth it? my main interest is hwy mpg since my 20 min per way commute is all hwy, and at 70 mpg im right around 3 grand, where in my previous 6pd tl id be at 2200, and honestly i miss it. i know the euro spec from bat is 7% lower, but im wondering if they could get their hands on one? i assume it would bolt on? thanks

btw, with the extra gear, what mods would need to be done to the shifter, besides remove the reverse lockout? i would think that that would be all, and the exsting two cables would control the extra gear, if that makes sense...

how would i go about that? anybody got connections with BAT? im sure they can help..

^^^huh that sucks. does anybone know the ratio's on it? i guess it would help to see if its even worth it. if it was like the 75 1-5 and 6th was kind of 'added' on the end, thats what i want. god, its hard to put thoughts into words...

from a post Terry made over on FCO

Terry Haines said:
I may have said this before but there is a 6 speed that can work in the Contour / Cougar.It is NOT the 6 speed Getrag used in the Focus/Mini but the 6 speed used in the Mondeo ST220,also in the Noble.We have done package work on this trans and know what it takes to make it fit in the Contour/Cougar.The downside is this trans is not used in any USA Ford cars and is a very expensive unit.In the Noble it does have some issues,these we are working on to devise some upgrades to the trans for Noble owner re track work etc.As you may know we do have shares in quite an extensive M/C shop and fab shop so parts that we can't mod we can usually design & make.This trans has a higher torqe rating than the 5 speed MTX75...
wink.gif

i want it. wonder what a ballpark would be for a used one? anyone got connections or just plain know how to check, i would if i could..

anyone know which 6 speeds fit our cars? or if there is more than one version of the 6 speed?

just to let anyone who was interested know he said that it will bolt up to our engines, and thats the extent of the compatibility, a lot of fabrication would be needed.

Back