• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Alternator swap instructions?

Those instructions you linked to are pretty accurate with the exception of steps 10 & 11. You can skip these steps as they are not necessary to removing the alternator on the Zetec engine. In step 9, the mounting bracket is not removable. The alternator is held in place by 3 retaining bolts (2 lower, 1 upper). Once you remove these bolts, the alternator will come out. I hope this helps.

You don't even need to lift the vehicle. Open hood, remove air plenum, unbolt alternator and connections, then remove alternator. The very first time I did it in 40 mins.

You don't even need to lift the vehicle. Open hood, remove air plenum, unbolt alternator and connections, then remove alternator. The very first time I did it in 40 mins.

Don't even need to remove air plenum. I found it was really easy to access bottom bolt by removing the wheel and the wheel well splash guard with the vehicle jacked up. Very easy access. However, can still be access from up top.

Is there anything special needed to disconnect the electrical connections off the alternator?? Any latches to release etc? Having a a hard time pulling them off and I don't want to break anything here.

I'm referring to the one to the voltage regulator and the single wire one near that and not the ones that are secured by the nut.

Nevermind, I found the clip holding the main one on although I would like to know if there's anything special holding the connector for the single small wire on.

Thanks!

Scott

Back