• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cleaning the Dome?

Fordwerke

CEG'er
When I got my car, it had some incredible stains in it, so a carpet cleaner pressure cleaned the car interior, and it really looks good, though it cost me $160:blackeye::blackeye:

But the guy didn't touched the dome, cause he says it would come down. But in the dome all the smoke of the cigarette fumes accumulated, and the car still smells.

So, I'm wondering what I could do about this. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
The dome light housing, or do you mean headliner?

If you mean dome light, then what year is your car? 99-00 had different dome lights.

I think he means the headliner.
And you might want to look into replacing it. People have done it with reasonable success.
I think most of the fabric is held up by an adhesive, so that's probably why he was concerned about washing the headliner. The cleaning solutions might affect the adhesive and that's what would make the fabric come down.

Some of you cats are no help at all. :laugh: My Contour doesn't even have a dome light, unless we're talking about the interior light between the map lights. Perhaps someone who does have one can chime in about how to remove it. I'm thinking it pries away from a roof-mounted retainer with the help of a regular screwdriver. However, I could be wrong. I know a BFH will take care of it, but I don't think that's the best answer.

I replaced my nasty headliner with the one from my parts car. It was a very easy job. Just remove the visors, "oh-sh*t" bars, dome lights, sunroof trim, etc. There is a few clips in the rear of the headliner that pop right out.

The only tricky part is working the headliner through the doors without putting any folds in it. You don't want to fold them at all or it will show once it's installed.

I would not recommend trying to clean it.

Yeah, I meant the "headliner", have to add this to my meek lexicon.

So, pretty much I'm stuck with it, cause I'm not gonna mess with it by replacing it, can't do that, will ruin the car.

If it's just the headliner itself that you're trying to bang out, I agree with Tony -- I would not go scrubbing it, either -- you risk undoing the glue, and then your car will resemble the inside of Jeannie's bottle.

I would pick up a bottle of Febreze and give it a good spray. Should freshen things right up.

cleaning headliner

cleaning headliner

ive cleaned headliners before at a detail shop. When you do it spray cleaner on rag and wipe lightly, should not need very much scrubbing. Also stay away from anything that has rubbing alcohol in it. Just do not soak the headliner and you should be fine

If you replace the headliner. Put the front seats all the way in the reclined position and shifter in first gear. Drop, turn and tip it as you pull it out the passenger door.

As Tony said, it is easy. just dont break the clips on your pillars. :mad:

3226152.JPG

If it's really dirty, just replace it. You can't scrub on it without tearing it, and steam cleaning it would break the adhesive and it'll sag.

If it's just cigarette smell, then a good coating of Febreze should do it. That stuff works fantastic with cigarette smell.

Back