• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

compartment left of steering wheel?

bobbo

CEG'er
So... is it just Mystiques that have the compartments to the left of the steering wheel? What's it for (most maps won't fit)?

The latch on mine is missing... an easy fix, or should I just grab a new box the next time I'm at the junkyard?

Only Mystiques from 95-98.5

For 99-00, they were switched to the crappy warping Contour dashboard and the drivers side glovebox was gone.

Pics:

Im000404.jpg

Im000405.jpg

I use it for change, sunglasses, pens, etc...actually pretty nice to have.

My LS does. Although I didn't know mine was a 98.5 cause I do have the same compartment. No wood on the shifter bezel though... I am still trying to find a company that can make carbon fiber replacements for the wood, NOT the crappy stickers that go over the wood. Box is handy though... change, gum, bills, you name it

My LS does, but at least mine has a tan interior, so at least it looks good on mine. Not too sure how I feel about it on blue. reminds me of an 80's crown vic for some reason...

And what does that switch do?

Not really diggin' the wood grain...ewww:confused:

Like the others said, it's stock. When I first got the car I really liked it, but it kind of gets old after a while. ...Kinda sometimes feels grandpa-ish now. :shrug:

Is that a kill switch in there?

I have a kill switch, but that's not it.

My LS does. Although I didn't know mine was a 98.5 cause I do have the same compartment. No wood on the shifter bezel though... I am still trying to find a company that can make carbon fiber replacements for the wood, NOT the crappy stickers that go over the wood. Box is handy though... change, gum, bills, you name it

I always wanted to see what nightshades would look like sprayed on the fake-wood pieces...like black, but still with the wood grain 3-D texture...might look kind of cool. I never did get around to it, probably never will now.

My LS does, but at least mine has a tan interior, so at least it looks good on mine. Not too sure how I feel about it on blue. reminds me of an 80's crown vic for some reason...

And what does that switch do?

Still looks alright IMO:

Im000197.jpg

The switch controls some extra LEDs that I mounted in the center console and above the cupholders so I can see at night. The lamps are switched with the rest of the interior illumination, but this allows seperate control if desired.

I'm growing fond of the 1998 Mystique interior, with woodgrain and leather. There's something about the dash and door panels I hated when I was younger but look timeless (not dated) now.

A few years ago I grabbed a gray pre98 Mystique left glovebox. The part was completely incompatible with my Contour - the screw locations were all wrong, and the console didn't line up with dashboard panels along the left side. Not sure if they changed it in 98 but I doubt it.

A few years ago I grabbed a gray pre98 Mystique left glovebox. The part was completely incompatible with my Contour - the screw locations were all wrong, and the console didn't line up with dashboard panels along the left side. Not sure if they changed it in 98 but I doubt it.

Good thing you chimed in, because I would have figured that you could just swap that whole panel back and forth beween the contour/mystique twins.

From what I understand, some parts of the pre 98 and 98+ mystique dashes are different though...the HVAC control area is different as well as the instrument panel bezels...don't know if the steel frame beneath was changed though. It might be worth looking in to if someone really wants one.

It may be possible. Heck my pre98 Mystique panel could possibly have fit a pre98 Contour for all I know!

Yeah, as Rouar said, it's not compatible at all with the Contour dash. The fitment of that panel is totally different betwen the two dashes.

I use my compartment for one of my Component crossover mounting locations. The other crossover is in the actual glove compartment.

Back