• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

cooland drain plug

frozone

New CEG'er
Does anyone out there know if the engine block has a coolant drain plug? I have never been able to find one, and just draining the radiator still leaves about 3 quarts in the block.

The engine block does not have a coolant drain plug. Only the radiator has one. In order to get the remaining coolant out of the engine, you would have to do a coolant flush.

Thats what I have always had to do. , a coolant drain plug would cut your cooling system service time in half, but I guess those brilliant engineers at ford cant figure this out.

Thats what I have always had to do. , a coolant drain plug would cut your cooling system service time in half, but I guess those brilliant engineers at ford cant figure this out.

The only other way to get more coolant out of the system is to start pulling hoses. But that's extra work that's not necessary. Come to think of it...

...just draining the radiator still leaves about 3 quarts in the block.

I'm not sure if this statement is true. Majority of the coolant sits at the expansion tank, the lower hose and the radiator. I just don't think the engine block has the room to hold that much coolant. 3 quarts is a lot of coolant. You're saying that the engine block holds almost a gallon of coolant by itself. That does not sound right to me.:confused:

No way there's 3 quarts in the block. No way. The best way to drain the coolant is to disconnect the small coolant hose coming from that massive conglomerate of a lower radiator hose.

I just flushed and filled my coolant system today. I carefully measured how much coolant I put into the system when doing the final refill because of this thread. I can say that by draining the system via the method Ian mentioned above, there are about 1.5 qts of fluid left in the block and the upper hose. At least this is the case with my 1995 2.0 5-speed, which according to the owner's manual has a coolant capacity of 7.0 qts.

Back