• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Does Water Wetter Work?

ilovesvt

Veteran CEG'er
Anyone put redline water wetter in there coolant and check the temperature,just curious if it actually works lol

Don't waste your money. They gave me a few bottles to test in my 1100 HP dragster and I saw no change at all. I reminds me of RV antifreeze for winterizing your motorhome ( probably is the same thing ).

As he says. Same as antifreeze, which raises boil point by maybe 5-7 degrees. In other words not enough to cure a problem. Vast majority of your ability to not boil over comes from the pressure cap. Boiling point raises quite a bit with pressure increase as long as it cannot leak off.

there's probably a little bit of a difference between a 1100hp engine for a dragster and a 200ish hp V6 in a CSVT.

same idea dude, you should see some difference even in a bad ass drag.

i ran water wetter in my 04 YZF600r cause they ran VERY hot, especally in traffic and the fan only came on right before it overheated. On the bike it was definetly noticable with good Zerex G-05 and water wetter

If you have a dedicated track car running 100% water (no antifreeze), water wetter does provide lubricating and corrosion fighting benefits. And if you blow a hose or end up smashing the front end, the track isn't covered in your slippery antifreeze mess.

In my experience - black car with a large front mounted inter-cooler and AC condenser, and small trans cooler limiting decent cool airflow to the radiator, tarmac is 110 degrees when its 85 outside - temps can climb fast. 5 degrees of "new" cooling for under $10? Maybe. I never saw the 15-20 degrees that some claim. I do feel the fans kicked on for a shorter duration, and at greater intervals. I'd recommend for strait water cars, probably wouldn't expect much results on a 50/50 antifreeze car. If $10 will limit the amount of corrosion in a $350 radiator... well, duh. Cooling systems gets flushed yearly and no gunk or garbage some people talk about has never been observed.

Since it *rarely* ever gets below freezing here in Phoenix, I just run water + water wetter. When I flush my cooling system, I just do it in the driveway and let it run to the gutter.... since there's no antifreeze in the system. If the WW does help keep temps a little lower, then that's just an added benefit to me.

I ran water and WW last year, didn't notice any difference over 50/50. I wouldn't buy it again.

Back when i had my talon tsi I put a front mount on it and on real hot days the car started running hotter, switched over to water weter and back to normal temp. Thats my only experience with it and it worked. Not saying it always will but you dont know unless you give it a try.

I also saw a bottle of royal purple kinda like water weter, i might give that one a try when it hits 100 deg. here in Dallas Texas,its getting close we hit like 94 deg. today and its getting muggy and humid too

If you run it, don't just add it... flush your system and don't add any antifreeze. Even redline claims that adding it to a 50/50 system doesn't do much... but they recommend at least a splash (like 10%) of antifreeze on street driven cars with heater cores.

But realistically, it's difficult to quantify the benefits (if any) from adding it. During the summer, your fans are going to kick on with or without waterwetter being added.

The full bennefit of additives like WaterWetter are when used with plain water or distilled water and not adding it to a 50/50 AF/H2O coolant mix.
The racing organization I race with requires 100% water in your coolant system but does allow these kind of addtives. They do work, the coolant temp may run only a few degrees cooler with the additive then without but it can mean the difference between overheating or not or having to get a bigger radiator or not.

I'm TOTALLY not sure about this, but I've been told on other forums that Water Wetter reduces the electrolysis in the cooling system.
The idea being, that scaling is reduced, and water pump bearings can last longer (due to reducing the electrical "charge" from passing through the bearing).

YMMV, obviously.

Back