• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

engine change now i have no spark

notimesnik

New CEG'er
I have a 96 2.0 which was bad and changedit out for a mystique 2.0 96 and had to change temp sensor to match wirirng and the knock sensor. Well everything checks out but the coil has no spark I changed coil, crank sensor and tedted the leads from crak sensor to the pcm and there is continiuty any ideas thanks

have you double checked that all of your connections and grounds are connected properly?

no I didnt check while being cranked but there is voltage with key on. I will check that with cranking

on the ground response I have read in a few places that grounds are fussy on this car. so i went thru and checked all the ground wires coming off the batt. The only ground on coil pack is the suppressor ? right?

the coil pack would be grounded via its bracket and the engine.

you should have voltage with the key on to the coil pack. if you don't i kinda doubt its going to be different when you crank the engine. I would double check all electrical connections are properly seated. reseat them anyway might help also.

Ya voltage is good and grounds Was reading on internet and had a? Is there such a thing as the crank sensor being located slightly different place from a ford to a merc? both 2.0l and same year Thanks

there is a difference in the crank sensor placement between a manual trans and an automatic trans. they are both located in the same place on the block, but the mounting depth is different between the 2. the crank sensor mounting bosses are based on the trans used so if you used an engine from a car that had a different trans then you need to swap the boss over your old engine. unfortunately its mounted from the trans side of the block so the trans has to come off along with the flywheel/flex plate.

what trans do you have and what trans was mated to the engine you now have?

well both are automatics because the flex plate would not have bolted up to a fly wheel or vise versa, I dont know the model of the trans. Will the cam sensor contribute to the no spark prob? Thanks for all the info

also on the crank sensor boss, what i read said the when you turn the engine over it would smash the sensor? that true? mine didnt break.

1. a flywheel is used on manual transmission cars. a flexplate is used on automatic transmission cars. BOTH bolt directly to the crankshaft. if the engine came from a car with the same transmission then the crank sensor boss is not the problem (that doesnt mean the crank sensor might not be bad, just that it is located correctly). these cars only came with only 2 transmissions, the MTX75 manual trans, or the CD4E automatic.

2. IIRC the cam sensor is used for fuel injector control, not ignition timing. doesnt hurt to check it though.

3. the smashing of the crank sensor will depend on which trans the engine was originally mated with and what its mated with now. IIRC using the boss from an automatic in a manual wont smash the sensor, but the sensor will be to far away from the flywheel to sense the tone ring (on the back of the flywheel). however i believe using the boss from a manual in an automatic will smash the sensor. hopefully that all makes sense.

Ya that makes perfect sense that is kinda wat i figured. Thanks for the info on the cam sensor I didnt khow that was part of the fuel system circuit. What about the knock sensor? I had to splice the wires for the interchanged sensor(same wire color codes) will that affect the spark issue? I think that only comes into play when the engine is running after the cold run cycle Thanks

If you have a friend with an oscilloscope you can test your the signal coming from you crank position sensor. Testing sensors is the only way to know whats really going on with an efi system(I learned this the hard way). You should see 35 ups with one missing signal (36-1 trigger disk). Similar to the image blow, its from a 60-2 vw disc irrc but same principal. Ignore the blue part below, looks like a hall effect translator. Takes all of 5 minutes and if you have good signal with at least 1.5-2 VAC your car should have spark and your problem enlies elsewhere.

images

Back