• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

equal length y pipe...anyone???

95pgt-t

Hard-core CEG'er
anyone have one custom made? any thoughts on it? i know it makes a big differene in sound,any other advan. to it? heres a few sound clips. stock pgts have a equal length y pipe. hotshot and ebay headers do as well,but pacesetter headers dont. heres a clip from a member on PT,same car,different header/ypipe combo.

pacesetters:(unequal,like ours)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fK8V3uhBIQ

hotshot(equal length)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JQhShgtROQ

No, we do not have an equal length y-pipe.

The greatest advantage to having an equal length headers and y-pipe is a pulse balance. Power/Sound

Since we have little room for our headers we took what we can get and got the msds set. .

I am not saying non-equal length headers is okay. I am saying for what is offered for our cars, the msds headers are good enough to not bother trying to get something even more accurate.The problem we have is the y-pipe design. You have no where to go with the rear banks need of extra piping. To really make it equal to the front banks pipe length. So we are left with an unbalanced y-pipe. No biggies though, overall performance is not lost.
Sound characteristics would be different though.

There was somebody who did add extra length piping to correct a v-bend in the msds design. He increased flow and also added about 3 inches more to length. He posted a flow chart in the old forums. He never did a sound clip or dyno on the design.

The flow from his upgrade was 40% more after removing that vbend and going to a longer u-bend.

Last edited:
Way back in the day a company (I think it Performance Fords??) did make an equal length y pipe. It looked pretty goofy too. Instead of the hard bend the stock unit has, it made this long rounded path. Maybe theres a picture of it in the archives.

Last edited:
Equal length does not always mean better, on the WRX for instance it will kill that signature flat 4 sound.

FP93V6B.jpg

i imagine i would've looked something like that. those are for the pgt/mx6/626

That one looks like it would have to go under the oil pan. Going around the oil pan on the contour causes the rear one to be pretty long. Not to mention the flow losses for all the bends and crap. You can't really just make them equal length.

Back