• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fitting and oil temp gauge sensor.

davey h

CEG'er
Just wondering if anyone has fitted one and where abouts they did?

I have read that there is a blank in the head by the coil pack which can be unscrewed and a sensor place there but wasn't 100% sure.

Many thanks Davey

The port in the head isn't the most accurate place to get a reading, but it is there.

It is indeed the simplest spot to use.

And to be fair, "accuracy", in this case, is subjective. My SVT Focus has an oil pressure gauge OEM, and it has no numbers on it. The important things to get from a gauge is whether the pressure is high, low, or normal, and if it changes suddenly. Regardless of whether or not the values are "correct", the changes in pressure are reflected on the gauge, so it does its job. It's all relative, IMO.

It is indeed the simplest spot to use.

And to be fair, "accuracy", in this case, is subjective. My SVT Focus has an oil pressure gauge OEM, and it has no numbers on it. The important things to get from a gauge is whether the pressure is high, low, or normal, and if it changes suddenly. Regardless of whether or not the values are "correct", the changes in pressure are reflected on the gauge, so it does its job. It's all relative, IMO.

while this is true tapping at the head has a smaller dynamic range, at least once warmed up, then tapping a main oil galley for the reading. might make it easier to miss a change in the oil pressure.

i have posted this picture before, i thought, but the plug circled is the best place to install an oil pressure gauge on the Zetec.
SSPX0071edit.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, i have a pressure gauge sender already fitted on a t piece where the standard oil pressure switch is fitted. The one i want to fit in the head is an oil temp sensor, now i also have a sump plug that is drilled and tapped ready for the sensor as i have heard that was the best place to get a temp reading from, but fitting it in the head looked so much easier. The sender i wanted to fit is an electrical one with a 1/8 npt thread, i just wasn't sure if screwing it in to the head would block anything or do any damage.

This is the how to i was reading but the sender he has used is for a mechanical gauge so didn't know if the electrical sender was different in any way as in size.

http://myfordfocus.com/how-to/oilgauge.htm

Here is a pic of the sensor and also the sump plug i have.

Photo0143.jpg

Thanks guys Davey

Back