• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HOw is YOur CSVT holding up?

ValCor

CEG'er
OK, it is 2011 and I bought my CSVT brand new, in September of 1998.

I've put three sunroof motors in her and the current one is broken, nine fog lamps, repaired the remote trunk latch, repaired the antenna twice; O2 sensors, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft sensor, MTX cable thingy, clutch fluid something or other, waterpump/thermostat, and the big finale............drumroll...............my engine blew up! I've omitted the various interior repairs I've had to do. Then there were all the recalls and service bulletin crappola to deal with. I dealth with it. I replaced the engine and clutch with the help of an ace mechanic; we decided to just swap it for an identical engine due to cost and time constraints. It worked liked a charm and I was back on the road in a little over one month. The ODBII computer sensed and set everthing like normal due to the identical swap. I didn't have to replace a single sensor.

Today my steering wheel center airbag cover is loose and the headlamp control knob's faceplate thingy is broken and loose. I've lost a line or two in my rear window defroster, but it still works. I have rear bumper sag. Sigh! My sunroof sticks, but I can push it and it works, sometimes. It all boils down to this, I bought an American car when it was not popular to do so. Heck! I wanted a Honda! (They did not offer a V6 5-speed manual at the time). My budget was $25K. I looked at everything available in a V6 5-speed manual, and the choices were slim and boring. Mazda? Really? Nah! Too small. I am six-feet one inch tall. I needed leg and head room with a sunroof!

I then spied an article in MotorTrend about the CSVT. I had seen the SE and liked it, but this was special! Long story shortened, it was love at first sight and I bought it! Would I do it again? Hell yes!!! When I bought it, all I wanted was 10 years and or 100K miles. Ha! From a Ford? All my peeps laughed at me! I exceeded both! (My engine blew at 128K miles). I've had so much fun in this car and, I don't see three of them at every stoplight!

Yeah, I feel the overall build quality could have been better, especially in the fit and trim arena. On the plus side, my clearcoat is just fine after all this time and my car has never been garaged. The AC and heater still work and all four power windows work. Knock on wood! The leather/vinyl interior and headliner are in great condition. The leather seats are comfy and there are no cracks, rips, tears, or weak seams. I feel I got the best model year, the 98.5 E1; had none of the dashwarp problems.

My first car was a '62 Ford Falcon. I failed the driving test in it the first time! LOL! I've named my CSVT Meridian Falcon.

Happy New Year to all!

Bought mine from PHX on May 2010.
The paint has tiny crack all over, but u can only see it from close up
I just needed to replace the water plumb a month after i bought it, maybe because i drove 12 hours from Arizona to San jose.
Um..... for the performance now, very good , still, but the handling is not to good deal with the tires are not good enough,
Also the last owner put a new set of SVT spring in it, and it still roll with the tall looking ="=.....
So far no major problem at all, but need more money and mod !

So far what i did :

Performance:

SHO shop (i guess,bought from someone) coated Y-pipe,
resonator delete,
Injen Cold air intake
Drill and slot brake rotor
Ceramic brake pads

Exterior:

Self mod Headlamp with 2 projector+ angel eyes,
HID
FSVT rims
LED license plate light

Interior:

Sony 6 way speaker,
Pioneer red stereo,
red gauges,
custom shift and e-brake boots (with red line),
Red light in all interior lighting,
Focus SVT mats (red)
FSVT red sit belt pad

Can I post about the 2001 4cyl cougar I had since brand new? Same car as the contour just with a 4cyl. Only problem I had with that car was some clutch line broke or something but was fixed under warranty, and then the alternator went out two years ago at 115k miles, then I sold it with 125k miles last year still running strong. It also could have used some suspension replacements but nothing major at all, great car with 30mpg on average! My new 3L coug is a lot more fun though.

I bought my CSVT in March of 2010 with 165k. The car had zero rust, no dents, and glossy paint. Absolutley no mechanical problems.

I installed some new KYB struts. (Should have gone with a BAT kit)
Fuel Filter
New Autolite spark plugs
DDM HID's in headlights and foglights.
Focus ST shift knob
BAT inlet pipe
TopShop CF IMRC cover
TopShop CF eyelids
Kenwood MP345u headunit
Pioneer 6x8 speakers

I'd like to do a 3L swap sometime but I just can't justify pulling a perfectly working SVT motor.

Great Story! Got a nice midnight laugh out of it. My wife just gave me the death stare cuz I woke her up. lol

I'm now on my 4th CSVT and I'm addicted. Bought my first one from the original owner right here on CEG, he lived about 30 min from me. He had a similar story as you, although not as funny. Its nice to see that you kept the car this long. I remember when they first came out... I was a tad young to afford it, but I had an SVT poster on my wall with the contour circled with a comment saying, I will own one of these... one day.

I'll keep representing down here in SoCal for you NorCal guys lol.

Back