• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to tune 3L+SVT cam

hcl

CEG'er
Hi!
I'm about to finish my full 3L+SVT cams project.
I'm buying a copy of PRP to tune it.
My first question is how to solve the "rough" idle caused by SVT cams?
Could anyone please enlighten me which aspect(s) to adjust?
Thank you!

not sure about a full 3L but every ported 3L w/SVT cams will idle just normally after the pcm learns how to.

there are a number of things that need to get tuned for a straight 3L. Like tuning out the secondaries, adjusting timing because of no secondaries, etc.

not sure about a full 3L but every ported 3L w/SVT cams will idle just normally after the pcm learns how to.

Thats good to know. I'm about to start porting my heads. And I have a extra set of SVT cams.

I have heard that people fill in the oval port injector cut-out area with JB weld. Anybody have any luck welding it?

My 3L with SVT cams idles just fine but I feel there is a lot that can be done with a tune. My car doesn't have the power I would expect down low until I get the RPM's up when the secondaries open. So I will be getting a tune from http://www.npg-racing.com/Tuning-&-...m-Performance-Tune/product_info.html?CDpath=6

I have heard that people fill in the oval port injector cut-out area with JB weld. Anybody have any luck welding it?

You can get plates from http://www.hybridaction.com/Store/Contour.htm so you don't need to fill with JB

full 3L's dont idle properly until 100kms or so of driving. the pcm needs to learn it and thats about how long it takes, the car will have a choppy idle and even stall out every time until you drive that distance and it learns everything.

What injectors are you running? If they are the 24lbs/hr from the 3L that is likely the cause of rough idle, not the cams.

Thats good to know. I'm about to start porting my heads. And I have a extra set of SVT cams.

I had a few welded up including my current car. Works great. It's probably the best solution but it is more difficult than swapping the plates on.

Back