• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Long level roads?

SoopaCooga

Veteran CEG'er
Is there anywhere west of DC with long, level roads where I can data log? Joey says it's got to be level, but I haven't found any roads in Fairfax that are level for very long. the highways are fairly level, but they also have a minimum speed limit. :\

i know Rt 9 up in Dover, De is farily level... some quick small turns here n there and so. but its fairly level...

does 14 miles of straight count? cause thats what it is.

I-81 in West Virginia about 10 miles north of Virginia has a few miles (maybe 5) of straight road that you can go 70 mph legally.

if you are doing the step rpm data logging under load that Joey looks for all you need is a mile or two while using 2nd gear. keeps the speed down so that you can logg on normal roads.

example of where I did this - its a pretty level, flat road. Its a mile long and just around the corner from where I store my car.

if you are doing the step rpm data logging under load that Joey looks for all you need is a mile or two while using 2nd gear. keeps the speed down so that you can log on normal roads.

yeah, a quarter mile would be plenty long enough. my issue is finding a level road without traffic calming devices! i will check out the airport tonight if possible.

Try New Design Rd. east of Point of Rocks and south of Frederick. Dead-freaking straight, never very busy and I'm pretty sure you'll find plenty of flat stretches.

http://maps.google.com/?hl=EN&ie=UTF8&ll=39.270404,-77.474771&spn=0.024353,0.040426&t=h&z=15

wow, that is one long straight flat road! too bad it's 50 min from work and 70 min from my house.

i tried a few spots northeast of the airport, but they had dips or traffic calming devices or weren't flat for long. i will checkout the westside and southside of the airport tonight.

Two months later, and I still haven't found a good road for data logging. :mad:

At the advice of DanG, I drove 66 out to 15 and headed North all the way to Leesburg. Fairly flat and fairly straight, but it's just one lane. I would have created quite a backup if I had slowed down enough to start the logging at 2000 RPM.

Guess I'm gonna have to try the recommendation by Cart99 or cough up the dough for a dyno.

hey bro theres a couple of nice stretches out my way on route 3 east but im quite a drive for your task but... still gas would probly be cheaper than the dyno. the road is 2 lanes both directions and has 2-3 nice long flat stretches, i would say 3 miles for the biggest one or mabye 2. :shrug:

Man, come to the west burbs of Chicago, NOTHING but long flat straights. I would die if I could find some twisty, elevation changes.

Same here...man I miss Central VA. My SVT's soul is dying out here Gary, and she's starting to rebel with various broken/malfunctioning parts just these past couple months. I'm convinced it's because I'm not satisfying her road needs anymore. Come to the midwest, I think we have what you're looking for. :rolleyes:

Same here...man I miss Central VA. My SVT's soul is dying out here Gary, and she's starting to rebel with various broken/malfunctioning parts just these past couple months. I'm convinced it's because I'm not satisfying her road needs anymore. Come to the midwest, I think we have what you're looking for. :rolleyes:

:laugh: I'm definitely not looking for more snow, but I need to get this beast tuned ASAP. I have been pulled over twice in four days for expired tags. :(

Try New Design Rd. east of Point of Rocks and south of Frederick. Dead-freaking straight, never very busy and I'm pretty sure you'll find plenty of flat stretches.

I am thinking of taking my car to a tuner in Frederick named Adrenaline Automotive. Heard of them? They do SCT tuning on a dyno. The owner (who also does the tuning) asked me about my setup and explained how the PCV system should be routed for forced induction, so he appears to be knowledgeable enough. He also appears to care about his reputation based on what I read on his website. I don't really want to buy another tune, and I believe Joey could work out my issues with enough data, but after 1.5 years, I need to get this car legal.

Back