• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lost

acontour

CEG'er
Hello everyone

My tuner wants me to do a log while going from 1000 rpms to the revlimit while in 3rd gear.(At wide open throttle) . Doesn't specify how. Just says he doesn't care how just to do it. So much for the help!

So how in the world would I do that unless I am on a dyno? I tried starting in 1rst untill about 10 miles/hour(or about 1200 rpms) then shifting into 3rd but the engine allmost wants to die.

So untill I hit at least 2000 rpms I cannot go WOT to the rev limit in 3rd gear .

Anyone have any experience with dataloging in 3rd gear?

Thanks

umm well im just gonna take a wild guess and say, since you dont have a dyno on hand; why not just jack up the car and do it in the air?

umm well im just gonna take a wild guess and say, since you dont have a dyno on hand; why not just jack up the car and do it in the air?

um, no. chances are running to redline you will break something. plus you need a load on the car to see how its going to respond.

so unless your going to be breaking speed limit, or can find a closed road, you will have to hit the dyno .... or start at 2k rpm.

um, no. chances are running to redline you will break something. plus you need a load on the car to see how its going to respond.

so unless your going to be breaking speed limit, or can find a closed road, you will have to hit the dyno .... or start at 2k rpm.

this is what you should. ^

there is no reason to go down to 1000 RPM so starting at 1500 or even 2000 will be fine. if he refuses to help you then i suggest finding another tuner.

I was thinking about jacking up the fron tires and doing this but there will be no load on the car like you said BrApple. I managed to do this yesterday at around 1200 rpm while starting on a freeway ramp which is a bit downhill then levels out onto the freeway. I hit 85 mph and 6791 rpm until the fuel cut-off kicked in. I started in 1st and went to about 15 mph then shifted into neutral untill rpm dropped to about 1200 then shifted into 3rd and went WOT. I agree with you striker2..2000 rpm is doable but not 1000. I'll keep you guys updated.
Thanks

I was thinking about jacking up the fron tires and doing this but there will be no load on the car like you said BrApple. I managed to do this yesterday at around 1200 rpm while starting on a freeway ramp which is a bit downhill then levels out onto the freeway. I hit 85 mph and 6791 rpm until the fuel cut-off kicked in. I started in 1st and went to about 15 mph then shifted into neutral untill rpm dropped to about 1200 then shifted into 3rd and went WOT. I agree with you striker2..2000 rpm is doable but not 1000. I'll keep you guys updated.
Thanks

Wow, your tach is accurate!! :laugh: :laugh:

Wow, your tach is accurate!! :laugh: :laugh:

It was actually 6781 rpm at 85.25 mph. I just checked my datalog again.. I guess it's supposed to be at 6750 or 7000 rpm so :shrug:

If you are being sarcastic then enlighten me why is not accurate.:laugh:

It was actually 6781 rpm at 85.25 mph. I just checked my datalog again.. I guess it's supposed to be at 6750 or 7000 rpm so :shrug:

If you are being sarcastic then enlighten me why is not accurate.:laugh:

The redline is supposed to be 6750, not the fuel cut-off.

I'll check my 2nd datalog to see when it kicked in. The tach might of showed 6750 but the log showed 6771 or 6781. Either way I can live with it

Back