• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

oil pan gasket

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
Looking to replace the oil pan gasket on the car. It has started to seep a little bit (only go through 1/4 of a quart between oil changes) but i want to get it fixed. Looks pretty simple, just pull exhaust and remove bolts. Any hidden challenges that i should be aware of before i start tearing into it? Car is pushing close to 200K, so i'm kinda excited to see how clean/dirty the bottom end is. I'll probably be doing this next weekend.

you will have to either raise the engine or lower the subframe a few inches. otherwise the pan doesnt fit between the front main cap and the subframe.

Or try tightening the bolts

Or try tightening the bolts

When I got my 99 conturd, it was leaking oil from the oil pan gasket. Being a lazy tightwad, I tried tightening the bolts and damn, the leak completely stopped going on 5 years now. So if you haven't tried that yet ........

Last edited:
I'll have to check that, but i'm pretty sure i checked about a year ago. I'm also curious as to how clean my bottom end is because of the miles i have on the car. :crazy:

I usually use toilet paper to clean my bottom end.

But on a serious note, If you have a hardon to remove the oil pan then just clean up the oil pan and the mating surface and put it back together. If you have alot of money to piss away, you could pop off the rod caps, but I think they are torque to yield and are a one time shot. New rod bolts are NOT cheap. Short of an engine rebuild, anything you could do while the oil pan is off is pretty much a waste of time.

Last edited:
I'm not pulling rod caps off. I just want to check the oil pump screen, and check for sludge and possible shavings (which there whouldnt be any). The car did start to overheat on me this week, so I have it sitting at work until the weekend so i can tare into it. I was hoping to blow a head gasket, so i could go out and buy new high compression pistons and pull the head, drop in new pistons and get a little more power. Unfortunatly, it didnt overheat, and my wife didnt like the idea :D

So yea, my list for the weekend as of now is new 180* thermostat and oil pan gasket/ oil change. as of now....

The a/c doesnt work, so either i'll order a new a/c compressor at work, or i'll take it off and get a bypass pulley... Gotta figure that out yet, as far as what i want to do there.

Is it really worth it?

Is it really worth it?

A 95 no matter how clean, is simply not worth the money and time you are proposing to put into it. The cost of a compressor and the evaporator, and and and will greatly exceed the high kbb on that car. Just drive it.

Never mind, I just looked at your ride page, no talking moderation to you.

Hater's gonna hate. :D

A/C is gonna wait for now. It really isnt all that expenisve for me since i do all of my own work and dont have to pay labor.

Back