• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Raced Today in beautiful 19 degree weather

crewchiefpro

Hard-core CEG'er
Cordova Dragway Park, north west Illinois has it's first race on New Years each year. It was too cold to prep the track but a hundred or so people tried their luck.

Track was terrible and one race car hit the wall hard.

My son and I had the only Contours. Since both of us have turbos there was ZERO traction. Our 60ft times were off about 8 tenths of a second since first, second, and half of 3rd gear were spent spinning the tires. Each of us ran 7 times. His reaction times were great, mine were mostly red lights.

My best time was a 14.66 at a whopping 106.10 MPH. I ran the same trap speed in the 8th and the 1/4 mile as a new Corvette that spun badly also and ran a 13.6 ET. He had the advantage of much larger drive tires and rear wheel drive. He normally runs deep in the 12s at the same track. There is a low 13 or high 12 second ET in my SVT if the track is prepped.

The only cars to get down the track were all wheel drive cars and trucks. A few dual rear wheel drive diesels ran high 14s.

What do you have done to your 3L/T that is that much different than any of the other 3L/Ts out there? They're having a hard time getting traction just as you are.. its going to take a lot of suspension work to get there reliably and repetitively.

I'm sure SOMEONE will get a 12.9999999 once.. but getting it routinely or getting one faster than that is going to be hard.

I'll soon have a 3 liter and a lsd in the rally car. Being that it is stripped of a lot of weight, it should be pretty fast for a contour. I also have stickey tires. Maybe I should see how fast it is in the quarter once everything is bolted in. If people are coming close in street cars with street tires, I should be able to squeak past 13.

I'll soon have a 3 liter and a lsd in the rally car. Being that it is stripped of a lot of weight, it should be pretty fast for a contour. I also have stickey tires. Maybe I should see how fast it is in the quarter once everything is bolted in. If people are coming close in street cars with street tires, I should be able to squeak past 13.

Ill video-record that one if you let me know when youre going to attempt.

True, but it looks like we finally got a guy that knows his way around a dragstrip with a car that has the power to do it.
My money is on this guy if anyone here is going to succeed.
-J

I've run a 13.2 (@107 and 108) in mine on street tires as well.. 2 tenths is not something I will require modifying the car to achieve. In order to do it repetitively, sure.. but once? I seriously think I could. That was with a terrible 60'.

Its not "if anyone can he can".. its "if anyone is willing to beat the car enough to do it".. Surely he is willing.. he knows the facts that drag cars break (check his sig).. 12.99 is a possibility, but not for him moreso than most of our big/forced (3L/T) crew.

He isn't/hasn't beat on his car anymore that what you have. :shrug:

biminiLX just thinks that he could be the first one to get in the 12's, it seems that you take offense to anyone else trying to do that.

I am just like anyone else who is trying to get a ultra high HP front drive car to hook up, no better or worse. I have the advantage of a huge trailer to pick it up when it breaks I guess.

Seems silly when you think about it. I have a 7 second dragster and I am trying to get a street car into the 12s. There is something magical about the 12s so I will give it a good effort. Since it is not a daily driver I may get more creative. It would make me most proud if my son ( bhiggs89 on here who also owns a Turbo Contour ) and I both could make it into the 12s.

There are many people before me who know how to drive one of these things better. It will take practice trying to leave the line so I will be at a disadvantage for a while. Once I get a 1.80 60ft time then it will be no problem.

He isn't/hasn't beat on his car anymore that what you have. :shrug:

biminiLX just thinks that he could be the first one to get in the 12's, it seems that you take offense to anyone else trying to do that.

Maybe there's a blurry line or something in there but all I did was say that HIS car was the same in most aspects as any other 3L/T.. I did give him an ADVANTAGE against others in that he has experience in dragging cars and knows the realities of the choices and will likely push his car harder when the time comes.

Where does offense come in to that? good luck to him.

The Tour that runs a 12 second quarter mile will need to have its time certified by a Notary Public, trust me:rolleyes:

I'm a Notary Public! :cool: unfortunately I'm not sure that I'm legally able certify such things....

Good luck on you endeavor. It can be done!!!!

I'm a Notary Public! :cool: unfortunately I'm not sure that I'm legally able certify such things....

Good luck on you endeavor. It can be done!!!!

Hey so am i :)

Back on topic....i ran 11's in my svt while missing a gear.....0-60mph:laugh:

:cough: excuse me, im merely a lurker these days:D :cough:

eeeek, what track would be open at 19 degree weather? i know most are closed if lower than 40F.

that aside, with a trap that high, only time and practice(ok, maybe some more mods) can get you to where you want to be.

Back