• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

scary

orinlili

New CEG'er
My car has gotten scary on long left turns. Mid turn it shoots into the turn without the wheel moving. . It'll do it under acceleration if I hit a large bump at the same time as well. Any ideas?

Such as? I described the issue. 98 svt contour, not that matters.
During a long left hand turn the car darts left independent of the steering. The steering wheel doesn't move while it happens. Front
parts changed: rh Lca, rh ball joint, rh inner and outer tie rods, rh sway bar endlink, rh strut. Lh strut, Lh end link alignment done.

Maybe subframe connectors, rack to subframe connection, or steering column slop?

If it had a locking differential I'd say it was locking and unlocking at inopportuned times. Maybe shot inner tierods?

Such as? I described the issue. 98 svt contour, not that matters.

that is a start. Now is the suspension stock or modified? How many miles on the suspension? How is the alignment? How are the tires? What is the general condition of the suspension .... etc ...

just for future searchers who have a similar issue, it turned out that the front bushing on the left lca was worn, but not torn through like the right side was, and there was a defective right out tie rod that was replaced two weeks prior. I replaced both and did a 4wa...With a "entire" new front end the car feels great.

I thought it was the ball joint initially,all changing that did was remove the shake at. Highway speeds. The bearing is all I haven't changed. But for now it seems okay

Back