• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Timing belt went - what else to change while I'm at it?

n811

New CEG'er
Timing belt #2 went with around 70k on it - total engine mileage is around 160k. Good time to address a few other things while I'm at it:

1. Timing pulleys & idlers (didn't do it last time, maybe that's why it broke :nonono: )
  2. Water pump
  3. Thermostat
  4. Coil pack
  5. Valve cover gasket (small leak)
Not interested in an underdrive pulley, just looking to keep the daily driver going. Any others you folks would recommend? Thanks!!

Nate

definatly change the belt and all of the pullies. waterpump is up to you, I never had to change mine, even at 228k. again thermostat is up to you and so is the coil pack. since the valve cover has to come off for the timing belt its best to repalce it or it will most likely start leaking on you anyway.

if you haven't done plugs and wires in some time you could think about that also.

if you are going to do the thermostat and water pump you should flush the coolant system, pull the radiator and flush it out as well as clean out the fins (flush water from the back face to the front). you will be amazed how much crap gets plugged up in between the fins and even inside the radiator.

I'd figure out why you need a timing belt at 70k

I'd figure out why you need a timing belt at 70k

These belts are supposed to last past 100k. If you are breaking timing belts, I'd try to figure out why.

Did this timing belt shred or just break? Yes it is a good idea to replace the belt (duh) idler(s) and tensioner

As for replacing all of the other stuff mentioned, thats up to you. But unless you are having issues with them, just leave sleeping dawgs lie.

he did state that he didn't change the pullies. First time I changed the timing belt was at 104k as maintence. The tensioner was going to split in half soon. Then at 222k the tensioner did fail and it chewed up the belt. so the pullies should always be changed.

so did it shred or snap?

went the cheap route the first time with my timing belt too and didn't replace the pulleys and had one of the pulleys fall apart about a month later.
haven't replaced my water pump after 108,xxx miles
as long as your gettin spark still i don't see the point in spending your money on a new coil pack
and definitely replace the valve cover gasket

If you have the old two-piece lower crank gear, get the new updated single piece from Ford, Part# F5RZ-6306-AB.

Folks:
Finally got a chance to get in there tonight, and it turns out the timing belt tensioner pulley shredded. I pulled off the idlers and they all sound like they have sand in the bearings. I guess there's wisdom in changing the pulleys/idlers at the same time!! :) Man, I wish I'd changed them last time. Live & learn.

Nate

Don't feel too bad. I'm finding that changing pulleys for factory branded Ford ones seems to result in them falling apart way before the belt goes. The plastic just doesn't last.

Hey nate, curious as to what year your car is. I got a 98 mystique with the same problem. 2.0 zetec vct. I've heard all about the possible nightmares i could be facing. I actually bought this car for 150 bucks. figure i couldn't go wrong, could I?

Don't feel too bad. I'm finding that changing pulleys for factory branded Ford ones seems to result in them falling apart way before the belt goes. The plastic just doesn't last.

how many miles? When I replaced the timing belt at 104k with all Ford parts the tensioner was about to fail. The replacement failed at 222k miles. Belt would have been fine if the tensioner didn't chew it up. The first belt was fine also.

the firt time I changed the timing belt at 104k we got all of the parts directly from Ford. When I changed it the second time at 222k I picked up the Gates kit from Rockauto for ~$100

Barely 50,000 miles. I was not pleased at all. I bought Ford specific hoping the quality as good as the original part. Nay nay. The others were cracked and beginning to break up too. They most definitely were in Ford plastic bags. I will not be doing that again.

Back