• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wanting to add tubular control arms

adam102487

CEG'er
I am wanting to add tubular control arms that I have when I purchased this car. My only issue is that the rear camber bolts on the top of the stock control arms are completely rounded, rusted and just over all disgusting. Do I still need these bolts when adding the tubular arms? Also my rear subframe has definitely seen better days I would also like to looking into purchasing a new one. If any one knows where I can find one that would be awesome. Thanks.

I would say it depends on how much adjustment the control arms have versus the camber bolts. It might be ok without them. However, I don't see a good chance of finding the correct strength and finish on the bolts that should be used in the suspension.

I think you can still get the rear camber/toe adjustment bolts at the Ford dealer, but I hear they ain't cheap, $25 each comes to mind. Search around, someone here has recenty bought new ones.

I didn't use the factory adjustment bolts when I installed the Massive rear toe arms, as they had plenty of adjustment range by themselves. I used a high grade (10.9) M-12 bolt, nut, and some correct-sized washers to keep the bolts centered in the holes, which are oversized to allow the adjustment bolts to function. There is a U-shaped piece of sheet metal around the bolt holes that gives the adjustment cam bolt something to react against, and the right sized M-12 flat washer will keep a normal M-12 bolt centered in the hole. Sorry, don't remember the bolt length, probably 50 or 60mm.

There is a seller on eBay with new rear subframes.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321392615861

Back