Next Thread
Print Thread
#430797 09/06/02 10:41 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
This is pimp. . .I'm sitting here killing time, and BOOM, Tranny forum. ..it was weird, because I was like "Hmmm, I spend enough time on this thing to have the whole layout memorized, and yet, a Tranny forum has been there this whole time". . .thought I lost it there for a second

But alas, this is new.

Yeah, my cable on my clutch gave out at 12.5k miles in the dead of an Ann Arbor, MI winter. . .fun, huh? Never had a problem since, they said somebody installed it wrong from the factory, so that everytime I pressed on the clutch, it would rub against something.

I dunno, long ago, so far, so good. . .I want to get a new clutch, though, I think mine is wearing down. . .how can you tell guys? I can slip the gear out when driving before I put the clutch down, does that mean the clutch has worn or the gears themselves?

Any of you know of a competent Tranny shop in Houston, TX? I wanna install a quaife with a new clutch, figure I'd take it to a place y'all go. . .

#430798 09/07/02 05:10 AM
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
I dunno, long ago, so far, so good. . .I want to get a new clutch, though, I think mine is wearing down. . .how can you tell guys? I can slip the gear out when driving before I put the clutch down, does that mean the clutch has worn or the gears themselves?

Doesn't sound like clutch. Sounds like a shift fork. Are you at low speed when you can do this? Sometimes, I come up to a light in 3rd or 4th and wait for the revs to hit around 1000 and then pull it out of gear without using the clutch.

Worn clutch will cause the revs to raise without going any faster. A real test is put it in 4th and around 2K rpms, gun it. If the revs fly up without accelerating, you need a new clutch.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
#430799 09/07/02 05:46 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Actually Lance,
Yes, it's at slow speeds, usually as I'm slowing down, I get lazy and or discoordinated and pull the gear into neutral without the clutch, and it goes. I did it on accident the first time, and I got curious, so I repeated it a couple of times, but I thought it my be fishy.

I'll try your test. . .gun it in 4th at 2k, see if revs. . .thanks!

Suneil

#430800 09/07/02 06:46 PM
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
Actually Lance,
Yes, it's at slow speeds, usually as I'm slowing down, I get lazy and or discoordinated and pull the gear into neutral without the clutch, and it goes. I did it on accident the first time, and I got curious, so I repeated it a couple of times, but I thought it my be fishy.

Nah, that's normal.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
#430801 09/07/02 10:42 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Yeah, your right Lance, I did what you outlined, it was fine. Clutch is okay. Guess I'm going to have to abuse it a little before I justify a transmission overhaul. I really want to install the Quaife and Fidanza Flywheel, but it's stupid to waste the installation money until I need a new clutch. . .Thanks for the advice . . .

Suneil

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard