• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2005 Escape Intake Manifold

Pudmunkie

Hard-core CEG'er
To anyone who is/was interested, just for reference:
0503082134.jpg

0503082134a.jpg

0503082135.jpg

0503082135a.jpg

0503082135b.jpg

0504080130.jpg

0504080131.jpg

0504080131a.jpg

0504080132.jpg

As you can see, it does not fit as well as an ST220 or an 01 taurus. I have figured out how to make it work, but would prefer to keep that to myself (if you're interested you should be able to figure it out...

You can clearly see that its bigger, and fits a lot worse :laugh:

2005 Escape is not the same as 2005 Taurus ;)

The escape manifold never fit so this is not new news

The updated manifold is the 05 Taurus which is an upgrade to the older plastic taurus upper

BTW the fuel rail setup looks interesting you have any more pics?

Last edited:
2005 Escape is not the same as 2005 Taurus ;)
I'm well aware, I don't remember claiming it that way either...
The escape manifold never fit so this is not new news
News to me... Perhaps the old ones didn't fit, or no one really tried. I made this one fit. :shrug:

The updated manifold is the 05 Taurus which is an upgrade to the older plastic taurus upper
Be that as it may, this escape UIM is a better piece. Ive heard from several very reliable sources (heh, not CEG or FCO) that this intake manifold was designed after the ST220. I think I'll at least give it a shot.

BTW the fuel rail setup looks interesting you have any more pics?
Nope. Not mine to whore, Sorry.

I'm well aware, I don't remember claiming it that way either...
News to me... Perhaps the old ones didn't fit, or no one really tried. I made this one fit. :shrug:

Be that as it may, this escape UIM is a better piece. Ive heard from several very reliable sources (heh, not CEG or FCO) that this intake manifold was designed after the ST220. I think I'll at least give it a shot.

Nope. Not mine to whore, Sorry.

The st220 is no where near the escape manifold... Trust me I have all of them and you can just tell by looking...
Just look at the ports and you'll see the tremendous difference between the two...

IIRC the fitment issue of the escape UIM was caused by the IAC to hood clearance and coilpack to UIM clearence...

BTW whats with all the secrecy, you got an UIM to fit, big deal... Someone put some AN fittings and built a return, another big deal... I thought the forums were to share info, not act like 12 year olds... I really didn't need the pics for the fuel rail it was just curiosity so just take it a little easy...

Last edited:
Nima,

I'll just respond to both threads here.

First off, I did not say the two were identical. I did however say that this intake is internally @ Ford known to be a good piece, up there with the ST220 (obviously not as nice). When you've got contact with people that have lunch frequently with the engineers that design and work on the Duratec, let me know.

And for what its worth, the IAC was not the only thing... but was one thing the prevented the hood from closing. I did however successfully close the hood with no problem last night, and the intake mani was not even bolted down all the way! with the IAC brought down a bit it wont be an issue at all. Also I can't say if there is any coilpack issue, since there was not one bolted up to the rear cover on mock up. Not a big deal to me, I wasn't going to mount mine there anyway...

... just to let you know i tried all these years ago... yes it doesn't fit and I said what caused it that it didn't fit, nothing new to me. lol yeah i am real lazy thats why i went and bought an st220 UIM just to get it to fit 2-3 years ago... :rolleyes:

Oh and if i was really that lazy i would of used the SVT upper... laf!!!!

I wasn't trying to dig at you directly... But maybe you just didn't try hard enough? I did get it to fit, you don't have to believe me because frankly I dont give a :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Not everyone has the resources or wants to drop the bank required to rock an ST220. I think maybe you forget sometimes that there are less than a handful (literally, less than five) in the US!

Overall, its clear to see that the plenums are MUCH bigger than the standard taurus piece, and the runners are much better too! Not too far from an ST220.

You build good machines, but its not always your way or the highway. It's taken me a while to realize that exact same thing....

And fwiw, I honestly hope you dont think I'm digging at you. Just friendly conversation.

Nima,

First off, I did not say the two were identical. I did however say that this intake is internally @ Ford known to be a good piece, up there with the ST220 (obviously not as nice). When you've got contact with people that have lunch frequently with the engineers that design and work on the Duratec, let me know.

And for what its worth, the IAC was not the only thing... but was one thing the prevented the hood from closing. I did however successfully close the hood with no problem last night, and the intake mani was not even bolted down all the way! with the IAC brought down a bit it wont be an issue at all. Also I can't say if there is any coilpack issue, since there was not one bolted up to the rear cover on mock up. Not a big deal to me, I wasn't going to mount mine there anyway...

I wasn't trying to dig at you directly... But maybe you just didn't try hard enough? I did get it to fit, you don't have to believe me because frankly I dont give a :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Not everyone has the resources or wants to drop the bank required to rock an ST220. I think maybe you forget sometimes that there are less than a handful (literally, less than five) in the US!

Overall, its clear to see that the plenums are MUCH bigger than the standard taurus piece, and the runners are much better too! Not too far from an ST220.

You build good machines, but its not always your way or the highway. It's taken me a while to realize that exact same thing....

And fwiw, I honestly hope you dont think I'm digging at you. Just friendly conversation.

Well the escape has clearly more volume than all the other plastic oval ports so its given that it will do better :)

The st220 has much more taper in the runners and has even more volume.

I am not here to argue anything either so its all good...

I beleive the other problem with the hood closing was the TB bracket on the escape UIM?

Anyhow at the time i was doign my swap i didn't bother with the escape uim that much just threw the taurus uim on it since i knew i had the st220 coming... Either way anything can really be fit with enough time and effort I am not here to argue that either...

I guess you are now in the darkside with the oval port :p

Well the escape has clearly more volume than all the other plastic oval ports so its given that it will do better :)

The st220 has much more taper in the runners and has even more volume.

I am not here to argue anything either so its all good...

I beleive the other problem with the hood closing was the TB bracket on the escape UIM?

Anyhow at the time i was doign my swap i didn't bother with the escape uim that much just threw the taurus uim on it since i knew i had the st220 coming... Either way anything can really be fit with enough time and effort I am not here to argue that either...

I guess you are now in the darkside with the oval port :p

I dont know about the TB bracket for an Escape, I just mocked up using a taurus bracket.

Aaron brought up the point that the pre98 hoods may have less clearance then the post 98s.

Don't get me wrong, id rock an ST220 if it was feasible for me.

I am doing oval port for this swap, and im even (sadly) using 3 liter cams. I don't have the patience to pull the svt cams out of the old motor and put em in the new one. Plus it wont matter a whole lot if the turbo goes on in the future :cool:

I dont know about the TB bracket for an Escape, I just mocked up using a taurus bracket.

Aaron brought up the point that the pre98 hoods may have less clearance then the post 98s.

Don't get me wrong, id rock an ST220 if it was feasible for me.

I am doing oval port for this swap, and im even (sadly) using 3 liter cams. I don't have the patience to pull the svt cams out of the old motor and put em in the new one. Plus it wont matter a whole lot if the turbo goes on in the future :cool:

Aaron the "mediator" :)

Seems like theres gonna be a whole lot boosted contours!

i already see a turbo on there:shrug: or is that the old motor?

Its not my car. That car was boosted long before NPG...

Also, I guess its like any other escape UIM... I never took the time to actually look at the old ones. Regardless, its bigger than all the other plastic intakes so Ill try and run it :)

Once you finish putting this thing on. I'll come over and just steal it from you.

Good job on getting that thing on man. I'm trying to get everything together for my 3L right now. So this might be a mod i should look into:cool:

I think Joey from Nautilus said the Mazda 6 intake was the same flow rate in comparison to the ST220 intake.

The st220 is no where near the escape manifold... Trust me I have all of them and you can just tell by looking...
Just look at the ports and you'll see the tremendous difference between the two...

IIRC the fitment issue of the escape UIM was caused by the IAC to hood clearance and coilpack to UIM clearence...

BTW whats with all the secrecy, you got an UIM to fit, big deal... Someone put some AN fittings and built a return, another big deal... I thought the forums were to share info, not act like 12 year olds... I really didn't need the pics for the fuel rail it was just curiosity so just take it a little easy...

It is does the best out of all manifolds because it heads up with the ST220 why you thing they used the manifold on the Noble M400 because it is has very large plenums while have large tapered oval ports. Yes the manifold is used on the mazda6 because they wanted to bump up the power on the mazda6 engines which share the samer overlap as us but us the better exhaust valves unlike us. The manifold fits all you do is cut the rear nipple and relocate the IAC simple.

Nima,

I really wanted to see what the intake would do with SVT cams because this manifolds will really shine up top. I made my hood shut fine when I did the dyno runs so yes it takes a little work but I think the manifold is great and guess what find mazda 6 engine cover and redo the top and make it unique. Joey

So i guess i should pick up a mazda6 manifold when i do a 3L swap?

Now would it be wise using this manifold with the 04 cams or svt cams? I would assume by the larger plenum as you stated the svt cams would compliment this more than the 04 cams.

It is does the best out of all manifolds because it heads up with the ST220 why you thing they used the manifold on the Noble M400 because it is has very large plenums while have large tapered oval ports. Yes the manifold is used on the mazda6 because they wanted to bump up the power on the mazda6 engines which share the samer overlap as us but us the better exhaust valves unlike us. The manifold fits all you do is cut the rear nipple and relocate the IAC simple.

Did you have a st220 manifold side by side to compare...Get both manifolds side to side compare for yourself... Yes the escape manifold has more volume than taurus UIM but what large tapered oval ports are you talking about????

Noble = FI engine
ST220 = NA engine

hint... Intake manifold design greatly changes between the two... :idea:

Please don't start with oh ford used oval ports because of cost, noble used escape manifolds because its like the st220 and mazda used the escape uim because they needed boost in power...
Sounds like you hear a lot of secret information :rolleyes:

BTW, check this out http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=334079&postid=3631441

Scroll down a bit, I love the dyno sheet and the comment :ponder:
Here is a Taurus 2003 swap with headers and a short ram with A/F running 11.5 because he didn't have a good tune yet which once he collects his money and send it to me he will have 225whp just by moving him to 13.5 A/F

Oh just so we are clear this was the first tune that was on his car... And SUPRISE!! It actually ran properly and idled :eek:

Last edited:
Did you have a st220 manifold side by side to compare...Get both manifolds side to side compare for yourself... Yes the escape manifold has more volume than taurus UIM but what large tapered oval ports are you talking about????

Noble = FI engine
ST220 = NA engine

hint... Intake manifold design greatly changes between the two... :idea:

Please don't start with oh ford used oval ports because of cost, noble used escape manifolds because its like the st220 and mazda used the escape uim because they needed boost in power...
Sounds like you hear a lot of secret information :rolleyes:

BTW, check this out http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=334079&postid=3631441

Scroll down a bit, I love the dyno sheet and the comment :ponder:

Oh just so we are clear this was the first tune that was on his car... And SUPRISE!! It actually ran properly and idled :eek:

since you are expert at tuning now have fun tuning his car now that it is turbo charged and you know who we are talking about too. Let see we have over 100 tunes with two customers I can think of had issues getting the tune right one you know and one who is using a 96 SE PCM. Look at my dyno plots you don't see 11.5 A/F even first time tuning the car ask anybody here who bought a tune where their A/F was when they dynoed the car :) heck ask Bagged what the dyno guy said about the tune on his car that I made for him that day ...........best A/F and tune he saw in awhile. Ever since you emailed Tom bugging him all the time about tuning questions he caught on to you that you were using out inputs to start your own tuning therefore he quit sending you info. Yes I do know someone that works at ford that has some info on ford testing that is the perks about being in the motorsports circle. Think about this one mondeo makes same power as the mazda 6 uses the same exhaust cams and even has more overlap than the mazda 6 but makes the same power. The mazda6 has 2 precats 2 maincats one resonator two mufflers and still makes 220hp so engines make the same power at the mondeo. And yes the mazda 6 was tested against the mondeo inside closed doors and you think they are going to stick palstic manifold on a noble over a cast (strong) St220 when money is no option with the car. Now if you wanted to put money down on it I would be willing to put a $100 on it if you want make a bet the ST220 most likely does not make more power on a chassis dyno.

Now you also have to ask yourself this why does a escape make 200hp and a taurus 2004 make 200hp when the cams on escape really do suck wind bad and the tuarus has this so called SVT replacement cams which it don't and makes let power than the escape on my dyno analysis and plots. The intake on the escape makes the difference more power which is large and yes does have tapered ports mostly on the end of the runners. I always find myself in a debate with you about 3 liter swaps. Why don't you go spend $500 and do the comparision dynos between the two intakes and others. I am sorry to everyone who has to read this but I give info to hopefully help everyone and as soon as I look back here he is trying his best to make waves. I am definitly no english professor or a speech professional when it comes to debates but I do bring facts and good points to the table if you want to keep it civil quit trying to insult me.

Back