• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Audio Newb

slow98SVT

CEG'er
Hey guys, I am looking to swap from my factory headunit to an aftermarket unit and I am wondering if I need to bypass the factory amp? I read about it in the FAQ but I don't know why it needs to be bypassed? I was thinking that it was for adding an aftermarket amp. I have never had a aftermarket head unit in any vehicle I have ever owned, and the only reason I want one is to have MP3 jack, I am currently running a FM transmitter and it isn't the greatest quality. Does anyone have a recomendation for a good headunit, I don't wan't to hook up any subwoofers or anything like that so I'm not worried about any capability like that. Any help will be appreciated

aftermarket radios have built in amps that put out alot more power, relatively, to the factory amp. running that higher power through the factory amp decreases the sound quality.

You definitely want to by-pass the factory amp, most after market head units will sound better that that P.O.S.!!! There is a wiring kit you can get from Best buy for $15-$20 makes it a lot easier. Also there is a how to in the Audio section that has step by step instructions on what to do.

think of it this way. you have your normal voice (unamplified) if you want to amplify your voice you can talk into a megaphone (amplified) since you would be putting an amplified signal into an amplifier, its like putting a megaphone upto another megaphone. It will sound like crap and give you no volume adjustment.

Back