• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Confirmation on my List...

qbcsvt

Hard-core CEG'er
In Possession

Ground Controls
Stazi Endlinks
Omp FSTB

Ordered (awaiting delivery)

Koni Struts all around (received)
Mcmaster bearings for Ground Controls (received)
Front and rear strut mounts(still awaiting as of 4-14-08,RECEIVED 4/16/08)
Bump Stops/Jounces(still awaiting as of 4-14-08, RECEIVED 4/16/08)

Im not sure what else I need to get!!!! Please let me know if I am missing anything that has to be ordered.

- amyn

Last edited:
the bump stops do not come with the struts. either use your old ones (would require you to take apart your old struts) or buy new ones. whichever you do cut the bump stop in half (that means you only have to buy one pair). that way you have enough shock travel before you risk hitting the bump stops.

the only other thing i would add to the list would be a rear strut tower bar but good luck finding one.

the bump stops do not come with the struts. either use your old ones (would require you to take apart your old struts) or buy new ones. whichever you do cut the bump stop in half (that means you only have to buy one pair). that way you have enough shock travel before you risk hitting the bump stops.

the only other thing i would add to the list would be a rear strut tower bar but good luck finding one.

Im not sure how the bump stops would work during installation? Im planning on trying this myself....

I would get a pair(2x) of Bump stops, cut each of them in half and this would give me 4 in total for all 4 struts?

- amyn

yup. to install you just slide the new bump stops onto the strut rod before you put the spring cap and upper perch on.

I will def take a couple pictures and so on when I get everything together and am ready to swap the old for the new....

- amyn

For future reference of anyone on the forums!

These are some pics:
McMaster Bearings and Washers(part #'s supplied in Stickied: Suspension faq) Vs. Ground Controls supplied Bearings and Washers. Also Sitting on top of the hats of the Ground Controls!
4-9-08McMasterBearingvsGC004.jpg

4-9-08McMasterBearingvsGC003.jpg

Everything that comes with Ground Control Kit!(2x Green Boxes, 1 has McMaster Bearings and Washers, 1 has Ground Controls supplied Bearings and washers)
4-9-08GroundControls011.jpg

4-9-08GroundControls007.jpg

Stazi Endlinks(w/ supplied bushings) Vs Stock(w/ torn bushing)
4-5-08StaziEndlink002.jpg

4-5-08StaziEndlink006.jpg

Freshly made Koni's Just arrived!
4-14-08Koni-GC-2gether020.jpg

Before and After Dremel work(Removing the Spring Perches for GC install)
4-14-08Koni-GC-2gether049.jpg

4-14-08Koni-GC-2gether060.jpg

Perches still on vs removed w/ GC's On.
4-14-08Koni-GC-2gether024.jpg

Koni's and Ground Controls mated almost ready for Install
4-14-08Koni-GC-2gether066.jpg

Bump Stops/Jounces(stop the strut rod from collapsing all the way down by seperating the top hat/mount when compressed) and Front/Rear Strut Mounts!
4-16-08Koni-GC-2gether001.jpg

4-16-08Koni-GC-2gether003.jpg

A question for whomever has this setup????

For the Rear after placing the Top Hat on there is a urethane bushing supplied by GC that goes on top of it... I see that that does not fit over the Rod itself but loosely over where the nut screws into place? Is this supposed to be like this during install it seats itself? Please help with this! I will take pictures right now and post as to show exactly what I am refering to!

Thanks in advance!

- amyn

Last edited:
OK I have some pics. To make it easy, Its supposed to go GC Sleeve, GC Spring, Silver Top Hat, Urethane Bushing???, and Rear Strut Mount! My question is as simple as How does this Bushing fit onto the top of the strut!

I snapped some photos of How I have it with the items that I have thus far!

Notice it is laying on top of the larger portion of the Strut Rod due to it not being able to stretch around it!(I havent tried to force it)
4-14-08Koni-GC-2gether072.jpg

Top View: Shows that the Bushing is not snug at all and actually covers the whole 'bolt screw' portion of the strut rod.
4-14-08Koni-GC-2gether074.jpg

And a close up photo! (notice again, Bottom Portion is large strut rod, top part is the threaded portion of the strut rod.)
4-14-08Koni-GC-2gether077.jpg

Thanks in advance!

- amyn

I guess im confused, but are you saying the GC kit now is coming with the right bearings or just comparing what you bought separately to replace the bearings in the GC kit?

Either way, Looks great!

I guess im confused, but are you saying the GC kit now is coming with the right bearings or just comparing what you bought separately to replace the bearings in the GC kit?

Either way, Looks great!

GC has always come with the right bearings, they are just weak and cheap-o

I Purchased the McMaster bearings and i was comparing what came with the kit and what was upgraded!

- amyn

Back