• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I need more power!

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I have a 1995 mercury mystique, it has the 2.5 DOHC V6 with about 120,000 miles on it. It is pretty quick but with a automatic transmission is pretty slow of the start. I have put a 2.5inch exhaust with no cat, a cold air intake, and a ported throttle body. My questions is what should be my next step. I was thinking of nitrous but i know the engine wont last long with the high mileage it has. My main goal is to get atleast a little pass 200 horsepower from the engine. Also what is my best way of tuning the engine since is a 1995 i cant use a X-cal. Thank You! Any Feedback Would HELP! :help:

Kill LIST:laugh: From a rolling start
1989 nissan 240sx=E,I
1993 mazda mx-6=E,I,H
1995 toyota celica gt=E
2006 volkswagen rabbit= stock
2000 chevy cavalier=E,I,H

I have a 1995 mercury mystique, it has the 2.5 DOHC V6 with about 120,000 miles on it. It is pretty quick but with a automatic transmission is pretty slow of the start. I have put a 2.5inch exhaust with no cat, a cold air intake, and a ported throttle body. My questions is what should be my next step. I was thinking of nitrous but i know the engine wont last long with the high mileage it has. My main goal is to get atleast a little pass 200 horsepower from the engine. Also what is my best way of tuning the engine since is a 1995 i cant use a X-cal. Thank You! Any Feedback Would HELP! :help:

Kill LIST:laugh: From a rolling start
1989 nissan 240sx=E,I
1993 mazda mx-6=E,I,H
1995 toyota celica gt=E
2006 volkswagen rabbit= stock
2000 chevy cavalier=E,I,H

Turbo?!?

From what I understand, even though you cant use an X-Cal, Tom (warmonger) from Nautilusperformance.com can still burn you a chip. All of the SVT components are transferable although Im not sure what you would have to do with the LIM since yours are vacuum operated.

You might want to beef up your ATX too. It doesnt like a lot of power. Or just swap an MTX. ;)

Buy a 2002 altima 3.5se

Why?? a straight 3L csvt is faster, handles better and looks better...

If your looking to bump the HP in your car, you can spray a 100 shot of N20 through it all day long.
Just make sure to install it properly, and have the car DYNO Tuned.
Also make sure to upgrade your tranny cooler as your tranny is the weak link.

If your looking to bump the HP in your car, you can spray a 100 shot of N20 through it all day long.
Just make sure to install it properly, and have the car DYNO Tuned.
Also make sure to upgrade your tranny cooler as your tranny is the weak link.

I'd like to see an old ATX take even a single bottle of 100 shot :rolleyes:

Thats why i said larger Tranny Cooler, also, i didnt say to spray it off the line...

A 100shot on a contour is stupid regardless. You wont get traction in second if you have mediocre tires.

75 shot is good enough for anything you ever want to do.

If you want to go fast, buy a mustang. They are easier to work on, have less problems, a bigger aftermarket, and they drive the right wheels.

Buy a fox body.

Best advice ever.

The contour is a terrible platform to have a fast car on. It drives the wrong wheels.

Bla bla bla bla

If you want to go fast, buy a mustang. They are easier to work on, have less problems, a bigger aftermarket, and they drive the right wheels.

... bla bla bla bla bla

I liked you better banned.

Since he has been unbanned, almost every post tourige has made in different threads has something to do with his purple mustang, mustangs being better than contours, mustangs having the "right wheel drive" and mustangs having a "bigger aftermarket" ............. Holy frick dude. WE DONT CARE about your mustang. This is a Contour forum and those who still hang around as trolls are here because of the community of friends that they have made. We enjoy their presence and their contribution/enthusiasim towards this site. You have no friends on here and you hate our "wrong wheel drive" cars, so why are you still around!?!?

rant out...

reebs

Since he has been unbanned, almost every post tourige has made in different threads has something to do with his purple mustang, mustangs being better than contours, mustangs having the "right wheel drive" and mustangs having a "bigger aftermarket" ............. Holy frick dude. WE DONT CARE about your mustang. This is a Contour forum and those who still hang around as trolls are here because of the community of friends that they have made. We enjoy their presence and their contribution/enthusiasim towards this site. You have no friends on here and you hate our "wrong wheel drive" cars, so why are you still around!?!?

rant out...

reebs

Amen Reebs, Amen!! By the way, my Lincoln is 10x better than all of your stupid Conturds, because it's not wrong wheel drive. :rolleyes:

Mark

I have a 1995 mercury mystique, it has the 2.5 DOHC V6 with about 120,000 miles on it. ... My main goal is to get atleast a little pass 200 horsepower from the engine.

MSDS headers will get a jump on the project. There also happens to be a sale on them for September.

The best bang for the buck might be a 3L conversion, but I'm not exactly sure if there are complications because you have a '95.... I suspect not.

Whichever engine you choose, a set of SVT cams & a Warmonger tune would help the top end out a BUNCH.

I will go to SZ08 if RawBurt & Tourige are set up for a slug-fest.

I would be so down for that.

But i would probably have to fight so many people after, everyone would want a chance to fight me.

Sidebar: The dude asked for performance reccomendations, having learnt from past experiences, i would advise someone NOT to persue the contour as a platform if you plan on going fast in a straight line. The contour needs an intake, and then suspension work, the car works great in the corners, which is where 90% of the mods should be focused to.

Then again, 99% of the board members on here dont race in SOLO I or SOLO II, so they probably wont ever push their cars to the limits.

Want a car that go's fast in a straight line? Get a mustang.

Want a car that rocks the corners and can be made into a serious SOLO I and SOLO II contender? mod the contour.

Go look in the "what you would have done differently thread" And you will see that even Rawbutt says the contour is the wrong platform to go fast on.

theres nothing wrong with modding the contour. sure its not going to be the fastest car but they sure are fun as hell to toss into turns and some added power makes it even more fun.

my buddy who passed away had a 91 5.0 with a 4:10 gear and flowmasters. that car was not very quick. but my other buddy has a 93 triple white 5.0 with basically every bolt on and that car is quick.

the 91 fox body notch back actually broke when we were playing around. he claimed to have sucked a valve but we will never know as he is gone. o well. now that car had right rear drive! lol.

but dont get me wrong i love notch back fox body's to death.

Last edited:
Sidebar: The dude asked for performance reccomendations, having learnt from past experiences, i would advise someone NOT to persue the contour as a platform if you plan on going fast in a straight line. The contour needs an intake, and then suspension work, the car works great in the corners, which is where 90% of the mods should be focused to.

Then again, 99% of the board members on here dont race in SOLO I or SOLO II, so they probably wont ever push their cars to the limits.

Want a car that go's fast in a straight line? Get a mustang.

Want a car that rocks the corners and can be made into a serious SOLO I and SOLO II contender? mod the contour.

Go look in the "what you would have done differently thread" And you will see that even Rawbutt says the contour is the wrong platform to go fast on.
Again the terms fast and quick are being used interchangeably which is wrong. A Contour can go FAST (a measurement of SPEED) in a straight line given enough space. I wouldn't sneeze at 143 aerodynamically limited miles per hour from an SVT Contour. How many cars will do that stock? I would submit that every car made will go faster in a straight line than it will in any other direction so there shouldn't even be an argument here. Now, in drag racing it isn't about how fast you are but how QUICK, which is a measurement of TIME. All other things being equal a RWD car should be quicker in a given length of straight road than a FWD car because of better weight transfer and thus better traction. Since the usual length of this road is 1/8 or 1/4 of a mile, the car with the best usable traction will win which means the faster car may not win! The quicker one will. Spelled out in layman's terms, a 200 HP SVT Contour will likely prevail against a 200 HP Mustang in top speed over a mile of straight road but in the quarter mile probably not.
Karl

Again the terms fast and quick are being used interchangeably which is wrong. A Contour can go FAST (a measurement of SPEED) in a straight line given enough space. I wouldn't sneeze at 143 aerodynamically limited miles per hour from an SVT Contour. How many cars will do that stock? I would submit that every car made will go faster in a straight line than it will in any other direction so there shouldn't even be an argument here. Now, in drag racing it isn't about how fast you are but how QUICK, which is a measurement of TIME. All other things being equal a RWD car should be quicker in a given length of straight road than a FWD car because of better weight transfer and thus better traction. Since the usual length of this road is 1/8 or 1/4 of a mile, the car with the best usable traction will win which means the faster car may not win! The quicker one will. Spelled out in layman's terms, a 200 HP SVT Contour will likely prevail against a 200 HP Mustang in top speed over a mile of straight road but in the quarter mile probably not.
Karl

Because everyone on here drives there car to 140mph everyday?

Trying to argue the logistics bewteen "fast" and "quick" is stupid. The contour is not made to be FAST or QUICK in a straight line, regardless that it can get to 140mph in 4 minutes.

If you want to argue with me, then tell me why no contour has been into the 11's, the 12's etc. Traction and just an overall bad platform to straight line race in. There are plenty of cars that can trap high 1/4 miles, but what does it matter if your running ET's in the mid to low 13's....

I would rather have an 11 second car at 110 then a 13 second car at 120.

Because everyone on here drives there car to 140mph everyday?

I would rather have an 11 second car at 110 then a 13 second car at 120.

pshhh... 140. :)

and I'd take a car with a higher trap speed because it would be one heck of a ride once it gains traction. You need alot of power to run high trap speeds, and if your running a higher time with bad launches, you know it must be pulling like heck to get a trap speed of 120+ with the shorter distance of track left once traction is gained. I love that "oh crap" better hang on feeling when in a powerful car, and so a car with a higher trap speed is going to give you that feeling all the more when traction is available from 2nd on up or whatever, no matter what it may run in the quarter. Quarter mile times are overrated imho.

Last edited:
Back