• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

morette

m!key

Hard-core CEG'er
after being frustrated for quite some time i emailed patrick at morette usa...

"hey patrick,
long time no type. haha. the reason i am writing you is i wanted to know if you had any info on the contour lights or lack there of. i have emailed harold a few times and others have emailed him with no responses. what happened? are the contour morette project dead? will there be any morette products in the US? thanks for your time.

mike"

here is his response...

"Hi Mike.

DOT. We think we have it figgured out. Two companies are making new optics that they clame will be dot. If they are, then we will be ready for the next step. The other issue on the contour is that there is variance between the cars we have tested the lights on. The lights do not seem to fit correctly.

Take care

Patrick."

picture.JPG

Last edited:
Too bad he didn't say when/how long it will take for these 2 companies to get their stuff made/get DOT approved...

I remember last year having high hopes that by this time I would be able to purchase. It IS still the reason I have not bought new headlights...

I'll still wait this upcoming winter, but if by the end of it nothing comes up, I wont be holding my breathe anymore.

The only thing I think keeping this idea alive is that picture above, which I have come to almost hate looking at.

Im inches away from giving up on them. It doesnt sound much different from their last response months ago. Actually, I almost ordered new headlights today and think I will anyway soon. Frankly, I think Im wishing these will be made more than I believe they will be. Oh well.

Id probably pay them to have a test set. Actually, **** it. If they ship me a set to test I will pay them. Im ready to go.

yea im almost done with that. I mean they already did the Neons and they test fitted those the same time as mikes, and now those are out on market while ours arent even in step II....f*** that man, seriously, there should be a more legitimate answer from them. Hopefully the optics are projector :)

why havnt they gone with an optic unit that is already DOT approved?

not that i'm interested in these after seeing the projected price, but the look is growing on me

The optics probably wont be Projectors, and if they are they will be LAAAME DOT optics.

yeah you guys are right these suck...
picture.JPG

these are much better...
contour_headlamp_9800.jpg

I'm wondering why they didn't model the dimensions of an OEM light. They keep saying there are variances between cars... I suppose panels and stuff can shift, but a light is a light.

yeah i dont get that part. they did model them after the shape of an OEM. i sent a set to france. :)

yeah you guys are right these suck...
picture.JPG

these are much better...
contour_headlamp_9800.jpg

Id much rather take a nice clean set of those lights that dont have 4 inch body gaps. Maybe even.... gasp* put some projectors into it! But im not sure if I know how to do that :laugh:

well I planned on a projector retrofitt for morettes, now that would be an origional and would look amazing..but it will prolly not happpen..

Well if I ever find the money to buy the Hella 90mm I will have a bracket and new lense for everyone. However I don't have $200 to drop on the 90mm projectors as of right now...

The idea is there. Just need the money for projectors now. I promise you guys this though... The projectors lenses and brackets I've designed up will be ready in time for Christmas because I can't look at the prototype lense in my garage any longer with out projectors sitting behind it.

contourheadlightprotoyd8.jpg

The 90mm units are only ~$60 a piece for the halogen units. Add a few hundred if you want HID, but that comes with ballasts and the works. Check rallylights.com

just how well do these work??

Halogen Infra Red 9005/HB3 Bulbs - 12V
General Electric patented this new technology in 2000. Their intention was to create a bulb that emits about 3/4 as many lumins as an HID capsule at a fraction of the cost. The technology was licensed to Toshiba for automotive use.

The technology involves a specially shaped quartz globe which has multiple layers of semi-reflective materials deposted on the inside surface of the bulb. The coating reflets a portion of the Infra red energy emited by the filament back to the filament causing it to glow hotter and produce more light, which escapes through the uncoated forward portion of the globe. Even though the filament runs hotter, the bulb produces about the same amount of heat as a stock bulb.

Interestingly enough, the 9011 bulb can be used in a 9005 lamp with a simple modification with a Dremel tool or file. Due to federal regulations, we can not make this modification, but you, the end user, can. The material to remove is marked on each bulb.

Item# Description
Price Quantity Add to

Order

CP9011 9011-HIR1 Bulb, 12V, 65W, Toshiba, each $29.75

Back