• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ok im lost and tired

DariusCSVT

New CEG'er
Hey guys,
I did the 3.0 swap on my CSVT after driving it about 60 miles its died and would not start back up. ive taken it to 5 different shops and all of them are clueless.

symptoms:
powers fine everything comes on but when you turn the key to start it nothing the dash stays lit but the cd player shuts off. the ECm has recently been (as o f today) replaced and its doing the same thing. im lost and im tired of screwing with this thing and im tempted to just scrap it and send i to the junkyard if something does'nt give soon.

I need sugestions here guys

It's ok it just sound like it's a minor electrical problem somwhere. Are you sure your battery is charging all the way. You should be running 12.5 volts without the car on. Next thing I'd do if I were you is I'd go over all your ground wires and make sure that they are all connected. This sounds like nothing more than a small electrical problem that should be easy to fix so keep your head up and don't give up on her yet.

check the battery voltage. if the battery is dead it does this. also if the alt isnt charging this will let the car run for a while and then just quit. pm me and i can help you

ok Im in Colorado and after all the money ive put into this car i doubt you would be willing to pay for it. (4k) and as far as a charge would it matter if i had it connected (jumped and contentiously connected to) another car?

haah im in pa so i dont think icould get it anyway. but sounds like maybe the started went or something else?? not sure but its cool you got a 3l

yeah if it ran it would be cool hehe. oh i forgot to mention it was running then it died, started up again then died about 50 feet later and never started again. the light in the contour dash emblem sometimes blinks 5 sets of 4 before the computer was changed it was 5 sets of 10 dunno if that helps.
and small electrical problem maybe but where do i look? and how do i look? i was told there was no power to the start (ignition) so it was assumed the ignition went bad but then it was tested to be fine.

I'd still get a voltmeter and check the charge on the battery. Sometimes a battery just can't hold the voltage anymore. Check the volts then get back to us.

ok,
I have a lexus as well and i had the battery disconnected and used jumper cables to connect the lexus to the terminals not the battery, in the contour you think its still at the battery?

Ok, with that being said I'd probably take a guess at it not being the battery. Check all the grounds that you have connected. There should be a large ground wire connected to the top of your transmission bellhousing and various other grounds that should be connected.

Well if your battery is not in the car then you should just be able to follow the black battery wire to the grounding point.

Get a volt reading on the battery and tell us what you have.

A bad battery, depending on how it fails, can act like that. Also you really cannot tell from trying to jump it. If the battery is bad enough it will not help to jump it. If you disconnect the gattery and try to jumper another one in you probably will not be able to get a good enough connection to really tell much.

Read the battery voltage. If it is much below 12.5 get a know good battery before continuing. If it is up where it belongs, start looking for bad connections, especially grounds. You can test the grounds with the same voltmeter you read the battery with. We can help you if you don't know how.

Which part of Colorado?

ok so after a short chat with shavedsvt and you guys' speedy response i have a few things to try and i will report back. if you have any other suggestions please feel free to give them.

ok,
I have a lexus as well and i had the battery disconnected and used jumper cables to connect the lexus to the terminals not the battery, in the contour you think its still at the battery?

only problem with that is the cable are so long you will loose alot of power and therefor still act the same ...

need to check the battery in the car like suggested ...

heres a picture of what we talked about. where the two red connectors attach is the megafuse. if this is blown the car will run off of batt. voltage until it dies just like you said.
3-4.jpg

Last edited:
actually i don't think there are two connected there. i remember there having to be one rigged to connect to one side but not the other. so what do i have to remove to get to this mega fuse?

the coil if the motor is still in the car. once its out just reach down there and pinch the two tabs together. the bloack cover will come off. then undo both 13mm nuts and pull the cables off. then put the fuse on the studs and put everything back on. make sure there is one on one stud and one on the other.

the coil if the motor is still in the car. once its out just reach down there and pinch the two tabs together. the bloack cover will come off. then undo both 13mm nuts and pull the cables off. then put the fuse on the studs and put everything back on. make sure there is one on one stud and one on the other.

what all do i need to remove? and can i do this in my garage without a cherry picker?

and im in the springs.

Last edited:
Back