• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

painting brake calipers

CSVTkid

CEG'er
I was thinking of painting my brake calipers red this weekend. what do u guys think? anyone have pics of red brake calipers on a silverfrost csvt?

not great oics but you get the idea.
cont-must019.jpg
svt-stuff011.jpg
hope it helps .

Prep em real good prior to spray cause the grit n oil will cause issues.

Wire brush attachment on a drill works swell to remove rust.

I used a high temp enamel on mine. Still need to do the rears.

Substances like Brakekleen and Berryman's will take grease, etc. off in a hurry, but they can be brutal on rubber hoses and seals. I would stay away from them on assembled calipers. I hit the suckers with Simple Green Automotive and buzzed them with steel wool. When I rinsed, I paid special attention to ensure that no little metal strands were left over from the steel wool. In the hot sun, the brakes dried in a hurry, and were ready for paint. Since my beast is Tropic Green, I painted the calipers yellow and the brackets black. Everything was handpainted, and came out all the better for it. Yellow took 7 coats to cover, black took 3. Red should be quite a bit more user friendly than yellow.

Substances like Brakekleen and Berryman's will take grease, etc. off in a hurry, but they can be brutal on rubber hoses and seals. I would stay away from them on assembled calipers. I hit the suckers with Simple Green Automotive and buzzed them with steel wool. When I rinsed, I paid special attention to ensure that no little metal strands were left over from the steel wool. In the hot sun, the brakes dried in a hurry, and were ready for paint. Since my beast is Tropic Green, I painted the calipers yellow and the brackets black. Everything was handpainted, and came out all the better for it. Yellow took 7 coats to cover, black took 3. Red should be quite a bit more user friendly than yellow.

that brings up another question, anyone have any ideas for other colors then red? I have a silverfrost with midnight blue interior and in the future i might consider get gloss black rims with the chrome outline.

Ford blue with silver or black brackets would look mean. Buddy of mine was thinking of doing that, but ended up going with red. Either would have been a winner.

Back