• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ST220 vacuum lines

SJon85

Veteran CEG'er
I decided to start a new thread to clear up the vacuum line issues I am having while installing the ST220 uim. Pics always make things much easier,

The largest port on the back of the UIM I am planning to use as the port for both valve covers if possible, this one
1.jpg

This one I will use for the brake booster vac line.
111.jpg

And use one of these for the vac line coming from the collage of smaller colored vac lines, and then plug the other as it has no use. Or would I be better off using each of these for the valve covers and then use the port on my intake tube for the smaller colored vac lines and plug the larger port on the rear of the manifold since it is being a PITA anyways?
1111.jpg

And finally use this port for
11.jpg

This hose as it seems to have to go to the IAC which I learned the hard way.
11111.jpg

which PCV system are you using, the newer 04+ 3L or the stock 2.5? if you are using the newer 3L setup then the rear valve cover needs to go to the intake manifold (that big port on the back just behind the TB in picture 4 would be a good place). the front valve cover must go to the intake tube between the MAF and TB as its a source of fresh air for the crankcase and should not have a vacuum. you then need to hook up the corrugated hose in your last picture to the intake manifold, as well as the brake booster (the 2 smaller ports on the bottom in picture 3 would be good for those). then use the stock 2.5 vacuum tree piece (the long one that goes into the top of the manifold and the smaller hoses come from) in the top port (picture 2). just pull off the rubber piece, cut it to the right length, and reinstall the rubber piece. then hook up the things that use the smaller vacuum hoses, FPR/FPS, EVAP purge valve, HVAC, EGR solenoid (if you didnt delete EGR).

Forgot to add that I am running the 04 3L valve covers. The port in pic 4 is for the IAC, so that needs to go to the intake between the TB and MAF. That leaves the rear valve cover hooking up to the large port in pic 1. As mentioned the front valve cover needs to go between the TB and MAF as well. That leaves the brake booster hooking up to pic 2, and pic 5 and the vacuum tree hooking up to pic 3. I had everything hooked up completely wrong on the stock 3L uim, and it ran just fine. I guess I got some work ahead of me. Thanks everyone for helping, this was really irritating me.

This is 1 good reason to run the stock, seperate primary/secondary IM setup. How much extra power is the single runner IM worth?

A lot. It's not the runners that is why this intake is a good upgrade, it is the volume of the plenum itself. I never measured the volume of a SVT 2.5L UIM, but the ST220 UIM (not having been extrude honed) was something along the realm of 7.5L... I'm willing to bet money that the SVT UIM is like 4.5L at best. For N/A applications a good rule of thumb is to have the UIM volume be 2 times that of the displacement of the engine. The stock 05 Escape 3L UIM was something like 5.6L.

EDIT: 2005 Escape UIM was 5.75L... I found my old thread: 2005 ST220 vs 2005 Escape UIM volume

Just thought I'd update this thread for everyone...

I've done some digging of my own in preparation for my own ST220 UIM install. I downloaded some helpfully programs, Mircocat (ver2010) and Ford TIS (ver2004). Ford ITS is bascially the exact same thing as the Ford Service CD many of you have, but it is for Ford Europe. Microcat is basically a dealer parts catalog which shows exploded views of different systems and allows you to determine Ford Europe part numbers for any part on the car. In doing this I have identified 3 of the 4 ports on the ST220 and what they connect too. See snap shots below.

First this picture helped a lot as it's an actual Mondeo ST220. This I found over at STdriveRS.co.uk
installedst220.jpg

Here are my snapshots with comments

ports3described.jpg

ports1described.jpg

Also snap shots from Ford TIS/Mircocat...
brakeboosterline.png

pcvline.png

pcvrouting.png

vacuumlines.png

Also and added bonus... UIM installation details (I'll add all of this into a separate thread called ST220 UIM installation when I do mine)
boltsequenceremoval.png

torquesequencest220uim.png

Awesome info Mike.

In your third pic up there with the two 3/8" ports, the second one is for your vacuum tree. The large top right port is for your IAC which needs to be routed into the intake between the MAF and TB, as seen in picture 1.
Second picture, large port on rear of manifold is indeed for the PCV system, some of ours will just connect to the rear valve cover.
Another note is the front valve cover will also be routed into the intake between the MAF and TB for 04+ valve covers.
Brake booster will also be connected as seen in pic 1

This is how I did my vacuum lines, and it works well. My npg CAI whistles now, sounds and breathes very well!

So I got the manifold on and running but still have an idling issue. After I let off the gas the car will rev up to 3k rpm for a couple seconds then down to 2k rpm and pretty much stay there. If I push the clutch in it makes the idle kind of boggle a bit. Sometimes when I first start it it will idle normal and if I tap the gas at all sometimes it just dies, or revs up more than normal and then just dies. I have tried several different IAC's and checked for vacuum leaks like a mad man.

Note, when the car was tuned by Joey I had the EVAP vent solenoid corrugated hose hooked up to the port for the IAC. So when it was tuned with the stock 3L manifold the IAC was getting air from elsewhere, not air from between the MAF and TB. Yup I'm an indiot! So with my xcal I went in and set the idle at 520rpm and it didn't change a thing. Could the tune be causing this high idle/throttle hang?

there is no port for the IAC on the 04 Taurus manifolds, the IAC gets its air from a hole in the TB before the throttle plate, thus, still between the MAF and throttle.

Ahhh I see that now, well this is driving me crazy. If it was a vacuum leak the rpms wouldn't vary like they are right? To me this sounds like it has to do with the IAC somehow, here is how I have the IAC vacuum line connected

into the manifold
iac2.jpg

and this is where its getting air from between the MAF and TB
iac1.jpg

I noticed on your Mondeo UIM that you were missing the port for the PCV. Look at my picture above to see the port in place. What did you do with this port? You may have a leak at that point.

I had a 5/8 port welded on there. At one point I thought thats where it was leaking but its not, I even put some JBweld around it to be sure.

Yesterday I installed the stock 04 taurus manifold and still have the same idling problem, but without the CELs. Also discovered gas in the oil a couple days ago. With that said I am closing the cougar money pit account after two years now with no real driving time, last withdraw will be a carport to store it and forget about it. Looking at buying a cheapish 94-95 cobra to have fun with while I go through school. Unless a miracle arrives and magically gets the cougar running, but I cant see that happening.

Fuel in the oil... that's no good. However this helps identify your idling issue. Sounds like you have a stuck fuel injector or to high of a fuel pressure. If fuel is just being dumped into a cylinder your going to get some fuel making it's way past the rings. Also depending on how your EVAP line is setup you could be pulling fuel through that as well, however I doubt your pulling enough to get your engine idle up to 2k. So now the question is what is the story on the fuel injectors in your car?

I think what #49 is saying about the injectors and evap line are a good place to start. Do you have any other injectors to try? I guess what I was thinking is you could return the fuel injectors to stock, then load the stock tune back onto the car and see what happens. I know the full 3L on the stock tune should idle pretty much normally. Based on the results of what the other injectors do you would hopefully be able to narrow down what's causing the issue. If you don't have any other injectors, maybe see if you can grab some other 3L injectors and swap those in to see what happens. I know the stock injectors aren't the best setup for a 3L but it may help you narrow down what's going on and then you can return to the 3L injectors and the proper tune. I hope I'm not way off here, I don't know your fuel rail setup or the compatibility of the stock injectors with the 3L rails.

If you need some 3L injectors to help diagnose the issue let me know. $20 shipped and I can scoop some out of one of our bins so you can give them a try.

Went and picked up some injectors from a local guy that went the split port route, installed them and didn't change anything. In the process of driving around to test it the CEL came on with p1151 and P0155 indicating lean on the front bank.

What can I do to troubleshoot the EVAP system?

Any ideas anyone? I have tried new injectors, new spark plugs wires and coil pack, all new gaskets on both intake manifolds, two different IAC, TPS, confirmed no leaks in any vac lines, just about everything. I will keep trying if anyone has any other ideas.

As much as I dont want to I am going to look at new cars tomorrow, I am burned out with this thing, its been a huuge waste of money and time.

Back