• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Swapping: Valve covers, fuel rail, UIM, injectors. What do I need?

PurpleMystique

Hard-core CEG'er
In the next week or two, I will be swapping onto my '01 Taurus 3.0:
-'05 Escape UIM
-24# oval port injectors
-'02 Escape fuel rail
-'01 Taurus valve covers
-COP system

Besides basic hand tools, I'm assuming I'll need a torque wrench, which I can get a hold of without much trouble.

-What other special tools will I need?

-Is there a tool for the fuel line connector?

-What are the torque numbers for the UIM and the valve covers?

-Will I need any new gaskets, o-rings, etc.?

-Anything else I should keep my eyes open for?

you will need to get the fuel line disconnects, can be had at any auto parts store for like $5 usually come in kits of 4 or 5.

you will need new gaskets for the new UIM, injectors, and to be safe; valve covers too, as for torque numbers, I dont have my ford CD in front of me right now, im sure tony2005 will chime in though.

Just curious... Have you even tried mocking up the 05 escape intake....

Just curious... Have you even tried mocking up the 05 escape intake....

Nope. I really don't know if it will fit. My main concern is the IAC valve fitting under the hood. We'll see what happens, I guess, but even without that UIM, I still need to install the fuel rail, injectors, and valve covers, so if it ends up not working, I'll just put the '01 back on call it good.

Care to clear up the confusion then? I haven't gotten them yet, so I can't tell you what color they are, but my '01 Taurus engine did come with gray injectors. Except my mechanic didn't give me 4 of them, so I only have two.

They are not 24# injectors, I had them tested and posted the results.

BTW I just realized you wrote 05 Escape UIM... I beleive you want the 2005 Taurus UIM not the 2005 Escape UIM since the escape UIM is unchanged and won't fit

They are not 24# injectors, I had them tested and posted the results.

BTW I just realized you wrote 05 Escape UIM... I beleive you want the 2005 Taurus UIM not the 2005 Escape UIM since the escape UIM is unchanged and won't fit

He has pictures of the 05 escape UIM in other threads, so that is what he is talking about. I was under the impression that the 05 escape intake was different, but I guess I just never looked at the old ones. Either way, it does fit.

He has pictures of the 05 escape UIM in other threads, so that is what he is talking about. I was under the impression that the 05 escape intake was different, but I guess I just never looked at the old ones. Either way, it does fit.

The last time I tried the IAC hits the hood so you probably need to relocate or grind it down...

The last time I tried the IAC hits the hood so you probably need to relocate or grind it down...

Without a doubt. Is that all thats making people say 'it wont fit'? Thats some pretty weak :censored::censored::censored::censored:, and im seriously disappointed if that is the case. "doesnt fit" means no :censored::censored::censored::censored:in way, no how... Not "well it takes a little work and im kind of lazy"

Without a doubt. Is that all thats making people say 'it wont fit'? Thats some pretty weak :censored::censored::censored::censored:, and im seriously disappointed if that is the case. "doesnt fit" means no :censored::censored::censored::censored:in way, no how... Not "well it takes a little work and im kind of lazy"

... just to let you know i tried all these years ago... yes it doesn't fit and I said what caused it that it didn't fit, nothing new to me. lol yeah i am real lazy thats why i went and bought an st220 UIM just to get it to fit 2-3 years ago... :rolleyes:

Oh and if i was really that lazy i would of used the SVT upper... laf!!!!

Last edited:
Back