• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

water pump pulley

TAhanks, I'm learning as I go with this thing. It did get a steering column from a 95 and a new rear bumper today. I have to figure out how to get the timing belt out from behind the motor mount bracket (I removed the three bolts holding that bracket on but can't find what is still holding it).

there is a fourth bolt behind the serpentine belt idler pulley. you have to pull the pulley off to get to it. and if that's not the one you're looking for then it'll be behind the WP pulley. mine was a torx head which i thought was weird.

Yeah I remembered a flashlight today and could see that bolt behind the wp pulley. It is a torx bolt too but it might not be staying that way. I worked on the rear disc brake conversion this morning and got finished just as it began to pour ran so looks like finishing the timing belt will have to wait another week. That gives me time to order new idler/tensioner set anyway. I honestly don't think anything has ever been replaced on that engine before. I'm curious to see if the old timing belt is much longer than the new one due to stretching. What is the best way to flush the coolant system while the wp is off? I'm not sure where the thermostat is but I thought maybe through that location, and let it come out the water pump hole.

You can dumb the entire coolant system (except for the little bit in the block) by pulling the small coolant hose that comes from that cluster•••• hose that's way down at the bottom of the radiator, driver's side.

Back on subject, you can use a square shafted screwdriver to go between two pulley bolts and wedge to loosen one of the others, keep changing position to get them all broke loose. I've done it several times. Bolt head sticks out just enough to allow for it.

I tried to do that after I had the first two loose but couldn't make it work. I was rained out yesterday so it will be a little while until I get back to it. The car is not at my house so I can't just pop in for a quicky so to speak.

I used a long heavy punch, and wedged it between two bolts while I used a wrench on the third bolt. Then rotate the pulley and use two more to wedge and work on a different 3rd bolt. Just keep going around.

Old thread yes, but how I remove the water pump bolts is I get two 10mm wrenches and clamp them in vise grips. I use the handle part of the wrench and place it through 2 bolts to keep the pulley from moving while I loosen the third. Once I break a bolt loose, I spin the pulley around to the next position, and repeat. Once I have them all broke loose, I just kind of get in there with my fingers and finish by hand. The hardest part is lining up the bolt holes during assembly. It'll make you cuss!

Back