Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
OK, I got in the car today and tried to start up the ol' AC and the fan speed control knob was set to high, so I tried to adjust it down and it was stuck. I gently jiggled the knob and eventually it moved to a lower position, but there's no airflow in any other position but high. Wasn't there a recall about that problem? Anyway, now it won't blow on anything but high and it's quite annoying. Is there way to fix that or am I screwed?

92 Talon TSi AWD DSM= Daily Scheduled Maintenence
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
yes there was a recal, chances are it was 10 years or 100k miles

it should be in the faq

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Its not to bad of a fix. take the switch apart it melts the harness, and part of the switch. tear it apart break the melted plastic down and put it back in. I had the same problem in my 95. and when i went to the junk yard seemed 3-4 of the cars down there had the same problem... Major problem. Easy fix.

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Your resistor is shot. There is a thing in the FAQs about this.
Anyways it is for 10 years or 100k, what your mileage?

If you have more than 100k click here

The nice thing it is only $12 and you can fix it yourself in 10 minutes, it is located on the passanger side footwell, up near the firewall.

I think all there is to unbolt two bolts, one wire, install new one and your good to go.

Last edited by HITMANinMI; 09/28/04 11:05 PM.
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
check the plug near the blower motor under the glove box. In mine the plug wasn't even snapped in all the way. I was lucky, I just snapped it in and BAM, I had all the speeds working

A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:

The nice thing it is only $12 and you can fix it yourself in 10 minutes, it is located on the passanger side footwell, up near the firewall.

I think all there is to unbolt two bolts, one wire, install new one and your good to go.

this isn't his problem as he can't move the knob either. If you can move the knob, then this is your fix. But his wires got to hot and melted in the inside of the harness causin the plastic inside the switch to melt, blocking the switch from moving. Read it carefully.

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by auiotour:
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:

this isn't his problem as he can't move the knob either. If you can move the knob, then this is your fix. But his wires got to hot and melted in the inside of the harness causin the plastic inside the switch to melt, blocking the switch from moving. Read it carefully.

No, you read it carefully.

"the ol' AC and the fan speed control knob was set to high, so I tried to adjust it down and it was stuck. I gently jiggled the knob and eventually it moved to a lower position, but there's no airflow in any other position but high."

No airflow in any position but high, so the switch is working. It wont blow on anything but high, so the resistor is more than likely bad.
He said the knob moved to a lower position, so the knob is working.

A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Sound more like its a compination. If the resistor thing goes bad it won't cause the switch to get stuck only in one spot. That spot being high in this instance. And now he can move it to two spots. the resistor has probably gone bad and what I am sayin. Both are quite the easy fix.

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
I had this happen to my 98.

I also thought the switch was bad. However after taking it apart I later figured out what was the real problem.

You need to locate the A/C blower motor "resistor pack". This part hides behind the blower to the left and is also behind the glove box. It's sort of in the firewall, but really in a plastic chamber to keep it cold. I think on mine it's a white plastic? There should be some wires that plug into this sucker and it's these wires that normally burn up.

What I did was strip off the melted wire connector going to the resister pack and colored each wire with tape so I could put them back in order. Then I got some female (Or Male?) wire connectors at Radioshack and wired them on the ends. Then I just plugged them into the resistor packs metal plugs and was running cool ever since.

Some times the switchs and resistor packs do go bad. You can pick these up at any local junk yard far cheaper than buying them retail. However, check out the wires going to the resistor pack first because this is the problem 99% of the time.

K
K
hi
have to do mine tomorrow(98 mystique)its going to cost $20 canadian for the resistor pack from the dealer.
it was a little white 1x2 inch door in the passinger footwell up close to the top of firewall and just to the left of the blower motor.held in with one robertson screw.
mine had the recall done in 1999 so i had to buy it.
very easy replacement.
on mine the resistor block was mounted to the white door(access panel)
pack was grey and crumbled very easily.
hope this helps
regards,jeff

1998 Mystique LS Sport 2.0L ATX
120000kms
all stock

1998 Mystique LS Sport Zetec ATX Very Dark Green
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard