Next Thread
Print Thread
N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
My waterpump light has been coming on this past week. This surprised me, because I replaced my waterpump with an all metal one less than a year ago. I popped the hood and noticed that the coolant level was very low. I filled it the the proper level, and low and behold the light went out.

Unfortunately tbe light came back on the next day. I checked the level of the coolant again, and it was low. I refilled it again and payed special attention to see if any pooling of coolant underneath the car was developing. I never saw any coolant on the ground.

What do you guys think? Is there a specific area I should check for leaks? Should I take it to the dealer? Much thanks for the help guys...

1998 Contour SVT Black with midnight blue interior http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/300749/contoursvt.jpg Build number to come soon!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
That's not a waterpump light, it's a LOW COOLANT light.

Overfill the reservoir 1/2" above the FULL line.

Then, keep an eye on the level. If the level was low, it may take a while to make sure that all the air is out of the system.

If the level continues to drop, it will be necessary to pressure test the system to see if (and where) it's leaking. Most shops can do this if they have the proper tester cap for your car (ask first).

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
Sorry I don't know why I said waterpump light, obviously its the coolant light... Anyways, I'll fill it up again tommorow, and if it has trouble then I'll take it to the dealer.

1998 Contour SVT Black with midnight blue interior http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/300749/contoursvt.jpg Build number to come soon!
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
My light comes on after about 20 minutes of driving. The fluid level is about an inch above the max mark so I know it's not really low.

I figured the sensor was dirty so I removed the reservoir and flushed it out as good as I could with a garden hose and nozzle. It didn't help so whenever I get tired of looking at that light I'll see how much a new bottle is from Steve at Signature L/M vs the local dealer.

Save yourself the labor cost and replace it yourself. It's not that difficult to remove.

Link Copied to Clipboard