Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Will someone tell me why I've got a puddle in my passenger side floorboard? It's been raining fairly steadily here for the last few days, but no one has even been in that side of the car for more than a week. I felt under the dash right about where the blower motor is and it's soaked. What the heck? Is there a known issue with this?

92 Talon TSi AWD DSM= Daily Scheduled Maintenence
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Mine was leaking from and around the ECU...al because my hood wasn't sitting straight along the weatherstripping (didn't have the powersteering container all the way in).

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Well.. I had a few leaks just like yours. Water was leaking into the cabin filter houseing.

J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
I pulled the cabin air filter out and man is it bad! It's black with dirt and reeks of mildew. Is there anything wrong with leaving it out? I can't afford to get a new one right now, and this one is so clogged up that I dare not use it again.

Any opinions?

L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
dont fix take something out you cant afford to back on..and its 20 bucks from NAPA, or 30 from ford!

Jason 00 Audi S4, 2.7 Bi-turbo quattro 01 S10 Xtreme, 4.3l 98' Contour SE with some mods 96 Cavalier (beater)
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
OK, it looks like BOSCH makes a particulate cabin air filter for our cars for $11.99 at Autozone. I ordered it in and it should be here within 24 hours. I'll post with more info then.

It looks like the cabin air filter was so clogged that it was sucking water and air in from the bottom of the cavity that the air intake sits in. Isn't there a drain or something in there? I couldn't see one...

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Mine was doing it awhile ago. It wasnt coming in through the cabin filter. Instead it was coming between the HVAC assembly and the car's body. Degreased around the housing with some alcohol, then sealed it up with some silicone. Havent had a drop inside the car since then.

The problem will be compounded if the weatherstriping between the cowl panel and the windshield is bad. It will let the water drop right onto the HVAC unit.

The drains for the cowl are along the outer edge, IIRC. Ill check the parts car when I go outside.

Ill have to check out the filter from AZ. If I need to replace mine when the car is apart, I will now know where to save a few bucks.

EDIT: Last few days is an understatement. Its been over a week now. Its making my repair work go very slowly.

Last edited by ExDelayed; 10/27/04 10:04 PM.

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Same problem here !!!!

it started 3 weeks ago

At first I thought the leak was at the floor sheet metal... but one day in the morning I went to drive my car and it was raining and I had the carpet all wet again. I thought to myself: how could the water come from the road up to my carpet if the car is not even runinning??

I then realized that the leak is coming from somewhere ABOVE.

I havent pinpointed where yet.

I read your posts and I guess I have to check air filter and AC.

Is it visible where the leak is?

Thanks

BB

Anything is POSSIBLE... sowing the seeds of love"
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Once you remove the black plastic cover on the passenger side to get to the air filter, just look around its plastic housing. Normally the rubber that seals the filters housing to the car stops working and when it rain it poors behind the filter and around the plasting housing. What a lot of people have done is clean and cake on silicon.

There are also some water draining holes on each side of the car under this plastic area. Check to make sure those are not filled up with trash. If the water level fills up in this area it will leak back into car.

Also while the cover is off take a look at the plastic tabs that hold the window in place. Sometimes water leaks into those holes. Just cake it all up and let it dry for a few days then run the spinkler over the car for a few hours or wait till it rains again..lol

J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by ExDelayed:

The problem will be compounded if the weatherstriping between the cowl panel and the windshield is bad. It will let the water drop right onto the HVAC unit.

I was looking between the cowling and the window and sure enough, there's a gap between there bigger than the one in my sister's teeth... I'm going to go to home dee-poh and get some weatherstripping today and see if it helps...

oh, and Jon: I'm still trying to sell enough stuff to buy those wheels from you Anyone want a P4 1.8 with 1.5GB of RAM?

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard