Next Thread
Print Thread
N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
I just took my car to the dealer to get the coolant system pressure tested. I have a slow leak somewhere, and need it fixed so I am not making Walmart rich buying coolant.

Anyways they call me like three hours later and the guy tells me that the mechanic can't find a leak. He then proceeds to ask me if I have any ideas

1998 Contour SVT Black with midnight blue interior http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/300749/contoursvt.jpg Build number to come soon!
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Are you dripping coolant somewhere? Any puddles under the car?

If not it could be a gasket issue (which isn't good).

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
could be the t stat o ring.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
If it were, there will be coolant pooled on top of the tranny.

You'd think a dealership wrench would have looked there...

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
head gasket?

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by nasty1:
I just took my car to the dealer to get the coolant system pressure tested. I have a slow leak somewhere, and need it fixed so I am not making Walmart rich buying coolant.

Anyways they call me like three hours later and the guy tells me that the mechanic can't find a leak. He then proceeds to ask me if I have any ideas

Most dealers will inject a dye in the cooling system. After the car has run for a while, they then use infrared goggles to spot where the coolant is leaking out.

My Mystique recently had its 2nd water pump replaced in a year. It started off as a slow leak then progressed to the puddle-on-the-driveway-and-engine-overheating stage over a period of 3 months.

Obviously there's no certainty that this is your problem, but judging by the number of list users who have had to replace their water pump fairly regularly it seems like a pretty good bet.

/Eric

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada '96 Mystique GS, ATX

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard