Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
Vez1120 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I've just purchased a 98 4cyl. Contour SE automatic, it has 125,580 miles. After driving it for about an hour the car will not start due to coolant getting on to the spark plugs. The Temp gauge is not working. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this and if so, could you give me suggestions on how to solve the problem?
Thanks in advance,
Vez vez1120@yahoo.com

Last edited by Vez1120; 07/13/05 01:01 AM.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Was the car purchased as-is with no guarantee? You probably have a head gasket that is blown (happens), or a crack somewhere in the engine (I hope not). If the temp gauge is pegged hot, you have a shorted gauge sender, if always cold, the sender is open or disconnected. Search "coolant on plugs", good luck with your project.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Most likely it needs a head gasket, you need to do a compression check and a leak down test to prove this.
At least the 4 cylinder is much easier job than the V6.

If you have an ATX, you also need to read up on the poor cooling of the transmission oil and there is only a metal screen filter not a standard particle filter to get the grit out of the oil.
So add a plate or parallel flow style oil cooler for the transmission. Tube on fin coolers are not as good as plate or the parallel flow cooler of the ford focus. I just bought one on Ebay that is meant for a Ford Focus and it looks like it will fit nicely right in front of the engine oil cooler. I am also thinking of an add on oil filter to insert in the line when I hook up the cooler.

V
Vez1120 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I'm hoping that it's just a blown gasket. I bought the car cheap as is.

V
Vez1120 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thanks for the feed back. I'm hoping that it's just a blown gasket. I bought the car cheap as is. Is a head gasket replacement difficult?

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Yes, unless you are experienced, but the 4 cylinder is a good candidate for the job. You need a full set of sockets and wrenches and other tools, Repair Manual, and Patience. Somebody in this forum sells service CD-roms and E-bay has those and actual books sometimes.

N
N
Compression and leakdown test. Look under the oil cap for white residue.

BB

1973 Porsche 914 2001 Beetle (turbo)

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard