Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
I was driving the car on the interstate and while exiting noticed my temp was in the red. So I pull over and noticed the coolant was low and it just happen to have some coolant. I let the car cool down and the added the coolant. While driving home temp whent red again! Pop the hood and the coolant is bubbling and also hear a bubbling sound comming from where the tempature sensor is. It only seemed to be leaking after driving it for a while. I can drive it round the block once or twice before it gets into the red and after stopping the coolant level seems a little higher than before and i can keep my hand on the engine for a long time it doesn't seem that hot. The check engine light keeps comming on I get 117 and 332. This is very upsetting I am getting married in a week and I cant drive my car to get there.

I had a mechanic install a new clutch and flywheel and when he did so he had a problem with it overheating. He said it was leaking fluids and he had to replace the tempature sensor. This was 5 or 6 monthes ago. After he repalce the sensor the car always seemed to run hotter but never go in the red before. This mechanic also broke my speedo cable which is really hard to find a replacement. Of course he wount fess up to breaking it so I dont trust him and his work.

Reading the Haynes manual is says to check to hose comming from the radiator to see if its hot. It's extreemly hot. So that means the sensor is opening. I was told he could have put the wrong size sensor in if that is possible. Does this sound like my mechanic did shotty work or is something else going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

95 Ford Contour 2.5L V6, 24V, ABS & TRACTION CONTROL, Sun Roof. Mods - accel 8mm wires, centerforce dual friction clutch, fidanza flywheel.
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Sounds like another waterpump, easy fix, takes less than an hour and costs about $60.00. Just so happens there is another post about waterpumps earlier today, see that post for part numbers and advice.

1999 Toreador Red SVT, DOB 4/22/99, 2005 Of 2760. "Many posted questions are answered by farm boys"
N
N
Waterpump or check your fans. Both my fans quit working and caused the coolant to run out the resevior. When the coolant gets very hot, the pressure in the coolant system escapes through the pressurized resevior cap. The waterpump will also cause it to leak and run hotter than normal if not overheating.

BB

1973 Porsche 914 2001 Beetle (turbo)
R
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
Well I took your advice and replaced the water pump. Got the nicer one and still the same problem. Also in my first post I looked up the recept and he replaced the tempature sensor not the thermastat (or are they the same). He charged me $38 for the sensor. Both of the fans are working.
Does anyone have any more susgestions cause im running on low?

95 Ford Contour 2.5L V6, 24V, ABS & TRACTION CONTROL, Sun Roof. Mods - accel 8mm wires, centerforce dual friction clutch, fidanza flywheel.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
code 117 is coolant temp sensor - normal operating temp not reached. It could be a problem with the thermostat being stuck on closed. When you turn on your heater, do you get hot air coming out of the vents?

code 332 is EGR valve not opening. Might not be related to your overheating problems.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard