Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1340811 07/21/05 04:02 PM
N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
My coolant light came on a recently. I've been hoping that the light was just a short or something. I guess I didn't hope enough... Yesterday I walked out to grab something from my car, only to find out that it was sitting in a puddle of coolant.

This is waterpump #3 on this car. The first I replaced myself, and the last one I got replaced by the dealer. Damn I hate this. These damn things last like a year and then call it quits...

Is there a good place in Dallas to get this fixed?

1998 Contour SVT Black with midnight blue interior http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/300749/contoursvt.jpg Build number to come soon!
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
why pay someone to do something so easy???

Ryan Trollin!
N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
I live in Uptown. So ya, I would have to fix my car in the street. Plus its a [censored]. I know that it is supposedly like a one hour fix, but it took me like 3.5 when I did it.

I dunno, maybe I'll do it...

1998 Contour SVT Black with midnight blue interior http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/300749/contoursvt.jpg Build number to come soon!
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
3.5 hours. It's a 30-45 minute job tops.

It sounds like you have other issues though as our water pump rarely fails through the shaft bearing.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
It turns into a long ass project, becuase the damn hose clamps piss me off, and I take long breaks so that I don't kick my car...

Does the coolant puddle indicate that the shaft bearing failed? (note: I have no idea wtf the shaft bearing is, I just got excited about someone diagnosing my problem)

Will replacing the pump result in a failure in the near future, just as it has in the past?

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Sounding to me like there may be some impeller bits floating around in the coolant passages that damaged the new pump. You sure it's not a burst hose or sup'm?

Anyway, will the dealer do a freebie if it has been less than a year?

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
J
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
J
I bought my car a little over a month ago and they told me they just replaced the pump. About two weeks ago it started leaking. I called them up and they replaced it for me no charge. The car didn't have any written warranty either. But since they just replaced it before i bought it(supposedly anyway), they did it again.

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Sounding to me like there may be some impeller bits floating around in the coolant passages that damaged the new pump. You sure it's not a burst hose or sup'm?

Anyway, will the dealer do a freebie if it has been less than a year?

If the dealer did the work, there should be a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on it.

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by nasty1:
Is there a good place in Dallas to get this fixed?

Lots of good places that I know of...

But it's only like six or seven bolts...

What part of Dallas do you live in?

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
I think I am going to do it myself. Its a pain in the ass, but I'll save a couple hundred bucks.

I would call up the dealer and try to have it replaced for free, but I got it replaced in Arkansas so it would be a [censored] to get it up there. (I'll call them anyways to annoy them)

I'm pretty sure that its the waterpump. Its the same old same old that always happens: Coolant light comes on, a couple days later after refilling the resevoir it comes on again, a couple of days later drippping from the waterpump side of the engine, a couple of more days later a huge ass puddle of coolant on the ground.

Honestly guys, I have like a year of payments left on this car, and I feel like fixing the waterpump and selling it. Public transportation is looking good...

I think someone asked what part of dallas I live in. I live in uptown, a block north of the West Village.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard