Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1360898 08/14/05 11:03 PM
N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
Stupid question here guys. Does the thermostat housing O-ring go on the outside where the two pieces meet, or does it go on the inside where the two pieces meet near the thermostat?

1998 Contour SVT Black with midnight blue interior http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/300749/contoursvt.jpg Build number to come soon!
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Imagine the thermostat as a funnel (Y shape) being used. The o-ring sits on top of the large circle (inlet).

If you are standing in front, put the thermostat in the back housing (smaller disc end first), then put the o-ring on "top" (closest to you) of the larger disc, then the "cover" (front housing).

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Imagine the thermostat as a funnel (Y shape) being used. The o-ring sits on top of the large circle (inlet).

If you are standing in front, put the thermostat in the back housing (smaller disc end first), then put the o-ring on "top" (closest to you) of the larger disc, then the "cover" (front housing).

Wow, I read that like four times and each time I got more and more confused. Maybe you could explain it a different way?

1998 Contour SVT Black with midnight blue interior http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/300749/contoursvt.jpg Build number to come soon!
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by nasty1:
Does the thermostat housing O-ring go on the outside where the two pieces meet, or does it go on the inside where the two pieces meet near the thermostat?

Okay, let's try this then. Maybe you need to explain this a little better and then somebody else can help you.

N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
Sorry I wasn't trying to come across as an ass. I appreciate you trying to help, I just couldn't decipher exactly what things meant.

I'll try to explain myself a little better...

There are two pieces to the thermostat housing. One is more of a male fitting, which protrudes into the female fitting. The female portion actually contains the thermostat. Now does the o-ring go inside the female fitting? Or does it go around the male fitting, where the two parts meet (this is what I meant by the outside)?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
There are two pieces to the thermostat housing. One is more of a male fitting, which protrudes into the female fitting. The female portion actually contains the thermostat. Now does the o-ring go inside the female fitting? Or does it go around the male fitting, where the two parts meet (this is what I meant by the outside)?

No, I did not mean to come out as annoyed. I was just trying to get you to explain it better so that someone else can answer you better. You second explanation is clearer then your first. But my answer would still be the same.

At the risk of trying to confuse you more, I will try to make it more general. Here goes.

Put the thermostat into the rear housing (maybe female portion you are talking about). Then put the o-ring. Then put the front housing (maybe the male end you are talking about). If you still can't understand this, someone else other than me needs to help you.

N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N

No, I did not mean to come out as annoyed. I was just trying to get you to explain it better so that someone else can answer you better. You second explanation is clearer then your first. But my answer would still be the same.

At the risk of trying to confuse you more, I will try to make it more general. Here goes.

Put the thermostat into the rear housing (maybe female portion you are talking about). Then put the o-ring. Then put the front housing (maybe the male end you are talking about). If you still can't understand this, someone else other than me needs to help you.

Lol, ya I think we are on the same page now. Basically the O-ring should be inside the thermostat housing, and should encircle the thermostat. Is that correct?

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
The gasket goes down first, then the thermostat, then screw the themostat housing back together.
Make sure you put the thermostat in the right way. I hope you remember how it was situated in there.

See your other thread for part numbers too.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

Lol, ya I think we are on the same page now. Basically the O-ring should be inside the thermostat housing, and should encircle the thermostat. Is that correct?

What you are trying to do with the o-ring is to create a seal like a gasket. So if it appears that the o-ring is placed where it will get compressed, so that there will not be leaks, then yes.

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
The oring does not go around the thermostat itself. Place the thermostat in the housing, correct oreintation and the take rubber oring and place around the thermostat housing not the the thermosat... The thermostat itself has not gasket.

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard