Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
cjbaldw Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Well, I'm out today running a quick errand to Eckerd's for some prescriptions and bread and I pull into the parking space and hear that nasty grinding sound. At first I thought I'd scraped the curb or something since I was squeezing into a corner spot, but after doing a quick walk around the car on the way into the store I realized that wasn't it. Sure enough, after doing my business and driving home, it's the right front pad that has worn through. I just had the front rotors/pads done on 10/30/00 so it's only been a year and about 20k miles since my last change. I went with the Raybestos rotors/pads last time and I don't want to go the same cheap route this time. I'm eyeing the BAT special for buying all four rotors/pads at once, just curious if this is a good deal or not. Don't wanna spend too much $$$ right now just on brakes. I've read thru most of the recent posts and I've seen that many BAT folks seem to have warped rotor problems so I'm looking for some good recommendations on pads (Mintex? EBC? etc...) and probably rotors too. I need to decide on what to do sometime today/tomorrow so I can order and get the product sometime early next week for install. HELP! smile

Regards,

Craig J. Baldwin

99 SVT Contour - Silver - #49/2760

"To make a living is to get, to make a life is to give." - Winston Churchill
M
M
Not sure if these are any good but Sho Shop has a front brake kit for $149. Using carbon metallic pads. Ford charges $200 for the OEM stuff so this looks like a good deal and the best I have found so far. Good luck to you!

Josh
Aka Spectra SVT
02 Dark Highland Green F-150 XLT
Mods: Gunrack and cowboy boots
S
S
http://www.contour.org/cgi-ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=010229

This is what I'm doing! Rotors were ordered 12-14-2001 at 11:00 GMT, and arrived Christmas Eve!

You can pillage an enemy once, but a customer is an endless resource.

James Oerichbauer - PFPC Global Fund Services

Ross: 1998 E0 SVT Contour, Toreador Red, Konis, Superchip, KKM w/heat shield, SHO-shop y-pipe and rear strut brace, no res, ScotchCal, Moda Sport 16x7.5 wheels with 205/55ZR16 Dayton Dayton tires... more
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Avoid Bat's rotors. I had mine for ~10k miles before they warped and again (after being an idiot and having them turned) after 4k miles.

Best buys are kvr cross drilled if you can spend the cash, 100/each 20% better stopping in all driving conditions
Mintex a/f pads work well (however I had issues with mine)

C
cjbaldw Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Quote:
Originally posted by TerryD:
Avoid Bat's rotors. I had mine for ~10k miles before they warped and again (after being an idiot and having them turned) after 4k miles.

Best buys are kvr cross drilled if you can spend the cash, 100/each 20% better stopping in all driving conditions
Mintex a/f pads work well (however I had issues with mine)

Where's the best place to p/u the KVR rotors? I know KVR also makes their own carbon metallic pads, how about them?

Regards,

Craig J. Baldwin

99 SVT Contour - Silver - #49/2760

"To make a living is to get, to make a life is to give." - Winston Churchill
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Got them from Joe @ Spmotorsports had them within 3 days

B
B
Chances are that the edge of the rotor is just making contact with the pad, a little grinding off of the pad near the edge of the rotr would stop it.

I referance to the KVR's I have the setup, and love it! The KVR Carbon Fiber pads are semi-metallic too, but way more rotor friendly. Watch your speed when new though! VERY SLIPPERY during break in, and after you have had them for a bit you will see that it takes them a second or two to warm up and really bite, but when they do! Oh Boy! they are awesome. Recommend it I do!!

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
Vibrant Blue - fully loaded

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard