Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#331098 06/19/02 02:38 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Anbody know the proper steps to take to patent an invention, as well as the costs that might be involved in this?

Buddy of mine and I have a kick ass idea, just want to see about getting the rights to it.

1991 GVR4
Lots of mods done.
#331099 06/19/02 02:46 PM
E
E
the first thing you need to do to have a patent pending is make clear copies of all drawings and notes you have come up with. then put it all in an envelope and mail it to yourself by certified mail. once you receive it, do not open it.
this is your proof of teh date it was designed (the postmark) so if someone tries to patent the same thing before you get your patent you can bring this sealed letter before any court and prove it was your idea first.

unfortunately i am not sure what to do after that, other than contact the US Patent office.

**HELP SAVE CEG!!! DONATE NOW!!!**

*This space for rent*
Please call...
1-800-FOR-ELKY

All proceeds go towards saving CEG
#331100 06/19/02 02:51 PM
S
S
Go here.
It's the US Patent Office's "How-To" page.

1997 GL Sport MTX,
Soon to be the fastest proven Zetec around.
#331101 06/19/02 05:36 PM
B
B
I wonder if you could send an empty envelope to yourself with certified mail, but not seal the envelope. Then when someone tries to patent something, you could copy their design, then put your drawings in your certified mail envelope, seal it and steal their design, claiming that you mailed the drawings to yourself months ago. Of course not having any other backup material or evidence of work will look a little fishy, but you never know. (Work is really slow today, so I'm just thinking out loud. Or silenty on the internet. Or something like that.)
Bob

#331102 06/19/02 06:10 PM
S
S
Well, all mine (all are group patents):

1 6,374,064 Xerographic development system, method for determining when the developer material supply should be replenished
2 6,321,045 Xerographic development system, a method for predicting changes in the ratio of toner to carrier
3 6,285,840 Print quality control for a xerographic printer having an AC development field
4 6,285,837 System for determining development gap width in a xerographic development system using an AC field
5 6,266,494 High-altitude compensation for a xerographic development system

were done by the patent lawyers at Xerox. I know it took over 1 1/2 years for them to come in, and I'm pretty sure there was alot of research into existing patents to justify the cost of apllying before they were sent to the patent office.

97 SE MTX, KKM, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, SVT TB, SVT UIM, SVT Flywheel, Grizzly Street Clutch, Upgraded motor mounts, mystifed precats, brand new main cat, SVT exhaust sans resonator, 205-55-15 Dunlop SP5000's

154hp / 156 tq before the SVT exhaust, SVT dual honed upper and swapping the mystery main cat for mystery precats.

My Profile
#331103 06/19/02 06:11 PM
T
T
My dad has a patent, it took about 17 months IIRC.

Dan Parmelee
1999 Acura Integra SiR-G coupe
"I heard Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms"
"Word, bitch! Phantoms like a muhfuka"
#331104 06/19/02 07:06 PM
S
S
I've had an idea for quite a while for a mod to connecting rods and pistons that could substantially change the character of ICE's, but it's been my experience that with this type of idea, unless you have the funds to complete prototype research, construction, and testing- you are dead in the water. No one wants to risk anything until it's a sure thing. The US was built on invention. In today's environment, Invention is stifled and choked to the point that only business has any chance..... that's sad.... frown

EDIT: Even when you do have a good idea, a prototype built, and testing complete (IOW, you are ready for manufacture), it is still extremely difficult to get investors. That is the problem with this engine. Ver, very sad.

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." - President George W. Bush

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#331105 06/19/02 08:13 PM
E
ESC Offline
E
Mailing your idea to yourself won't do you much good. I believe it may work for something like song lyrics, but not patents. If you reveal your idea to anyone before you apply for the patent it's fair game for anyone to patent it.

Having a lawyer take care of it can run at least $10K depending on how much work they have to do. If you can take care of drawings and basic content of the idea (description, applications, etc) to the point where the lawyer only has to define the claims it will cost significantly less.

#331106 06/19/02 08:32 PM
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by ESC:
Mailing your idea to yourself won't do you much good. I believe it may work for something like song lyrics, but not patents. If you reveal your idea to anyone before you apply for the patent it's fair game for anyone to patent it.

Having a lawyer take care of it can run at least $10K depending on how much work they have to do. If you can take care of drawings and basic content of the idea (description, applications, etc) to the point where the lawyer only has to define the claims it will cost significantly less.
It won't be free for anyone to patent it. Only the original inventor or their assignee can obtain a patent. If you release information regarding your idea into the general public, you have one year to apply for a patent. Once that year passes, it is considered "prior art" and no longer patentable by anyone.

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." - President George W. Bush

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes

Link Copied to Clipboard