Print Thread
#628389 05/07/03 08:58 PM
D
OP Offline
D
The check-engine light in my '99 V6 had been coming on and off
intermittently, and I took it to the dealer who diagnosed
a faulty catalyic converter, apparently purely on the basis of
the code; just before that I had changed the air-cleaner element which was somewhat dirty.

The dealer ordered the part, which I paid for up-front, and
reset the check-engine light.

A couple of weeks later (and 400 miles) later the part has
arrived, but the check-engine light has remained resolutely
off. I then went into the dealer, and said that I thought I would leave the repair and asked for a refund of the cost of the part, but was refused with the statement that Ford did not accept returns. So I have two questions

a) How long should I wait before assuming that the catalytic
converter is serviceable, at least for the time being, and that I do not need to fork out the ~$700 that the local dealer
wants for the repair (actually, is that the going rate for this repair)? The practical limit is the 60 days in which you can dispute a credit card payment.

b) Do any other dealers or manufacturers have such a ridiculous (and illegal?) return policy.

Many thanks,
David Richards

#628390 05/07/03 09:27 PM
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by David Richards:
The check-engine light in my '99 V6 had been coming on and off
intermittently, and I took it to the dealer who diagnosed
a faulty catalyic converter, apparently purely on the basis of
the code; just before that I had changed the air-cleaner element which was somewhat dirty.

The dealer ordered the part, which I paid for up-front, and
reset the check-engine light.

A couple of weeks later (and 400 miles) later the part has
arrived, but the check-engine light has remained resolutely
off. I then went into the dealer, and said that I thought I would leave the repair and asked for a refund of the cost of the part, but was refused with the statement that Ford did not accept returns. So I have two questions

a) How long should I wait before assuming that the catalytic
converter is serviceable, at least for the time being, and that I do not need to fork out the ~$700 that the local dealer
wants for the repair (actually, is that the going rate for this repair)? The practical limit is the 60 days in which you can dispute a credit card payment.

b) Do any other dealers or manufacturers have such a ridiculous (and illegal?) return policy.

Many thanks,
David Richards

Do you have under 80,000 miles on your car???? If so, it is covered under federal warranty. You wouldn't have to pay a dime.

1998.5 E1 SVT Contour #5482/6535
#628391 05/08/03 02:29 AM
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
no dealer i know of will order parts and then take them back that is why they make you pay for the part first....
just take the part and keep it.. they probably made a bad guess on the problem.... you already paid for the part.. tell them you dont have the money for the repair at this time and you want the part, as you already paid for it and its yours... maybe better then letting them screw you even more with an unnecessary repair.......

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard