Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
I am being to hate my car...... If its not one thing its the other.

When i start running low on gas the car seems to choke when I really get on it. But if I have 1/4 tank or more the car runs fine? I took it to Ford and they said that there was nothing wrong. No codes and they check out the car and took it for a road test with there computer box hooked up as they drove it. And they found nothing. But the problem is still there. I tried putting dry gas and then fill up the tank to see if there was water in the tank. But it didn't help. I ran the car really low too on gas to make sure i got any bad gas out of it. Thanks..... confused

2000 SVT Contour Silver

IN Process "3.0L w/Turbo"

Born In Kansas on 12/16/99
Engine Died on 6/18/2002 18,223 still at Ford as of 7/5/02

#986 of 2150
G
G
Maybe change to a higher octane? It worked for me. smile

'95 GL White
K&N
*New Wire Harness* ;P
Pioneer front spkrs, Infinity rear, and Kenwood 320w amp installed YAY!
I'd like to give a shout out to audio forum-esp. archives...you guys helped more than you know..THANKS!
No more mods for now--just hoping she stays well.
78K and still kickin' it.
neworleansgrl26@yahoo.com
D
D
im taking a wild guess, but could it possibly be the fuel pump? im not sure how our fuel pumps are positioned, but in 2 previous cars i have owned, when the fuel pump was about to go the same symptoms as yours occurred. its just a guess tho, hope it helps!

"We Learn From Our Mystique's".
1993 Honda Civic Hatch (stored away, waiting for a front clip, future drag car).
1995 Mystique GS V6 (everyday car).
1998 Mystique LS V6 (show car, sunny summer days only).
My personal site... http://www.deanjoyce.com
President of On All 4s Car Club of New York - www.onall4scarclub.com
S
S
i agree with deanjoyce. when there is little fuel in your tank the pump will not properly cool. your symptoms are probably a sign of the pump on it's way down the crapper. you should never run your tank down real low, you'll end up burning out your pump. keep an eye on it, listen for unordinary humming noises, and see if it worsens.

-Dan
1998.5 SVT "Black and Blue" #5292
See here for MOD list.
"Washing your car to make it rain does not work."
E
E
Hi,

Yes, I agree, fuel pump. Your symptoms are exactly the same as my previous two failed fuel pumps. I am not so sure though, that it is actually a "broken" or un-repairable condition. Check out this set of photos of my latest fuel pump, with less than 12,000 miles on it. I don't buy gas at country stores out in the middle of nowhere either...I feel these fuel pump screens should be considered regular maintenance!

Here's the link... Returnless Fuel Pump EXPOSED!

...Ed

2000 Silver Frost SVT
#1625 14 Jan 2000
Dual Mode Dampener
A/C switched
K&N Dropin
Magnecor
B
B
Excellent photos. You have confirmed what I have been told, that there is still a filter sock before the fuel pump. I have been told that the plugged disc fine screen on the bottom of the fuel pump module can be removed and thrown away since the sock will still prevent contamination from the rest of the system. A sock filter is all they used prior to the returnless system.

Jim Johnson
98 SVT

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard