Page 1 of 2 1 2
#938866 04/25/04 05:35 PM
F
FJI Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F

I own a 99CSVT with 56K no mods except SHO Shop Cold Air Filter Kit and center muffler replaced with a glasspack. The car pulls up to the rev limiter but sometimes it just seems to take forever and other times it feels like it has more power.
I know it has been discussed a million times before but for some reason I simply cannot find a forum discussion that tells me how I can easily check to see if my secondaries are working correctly or not. I am tired of searching and thought it would be easier just to ask.
Can someone please help me by telling me a quick way to check and see if the secondaries are opening properly or something is broken?
Also, even though the factory says you do not have to change the sparkplugs until 100K how often should they really be changed?
What are the best replacement plugs to use?
Thanks a lot

#938867 04/25/04 06:28 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Usualy the secondaries fail under high temp. So if you have been sitting in traffic usualy thats when they will fail(they just dont open) Try taking the little plastic cover off. And if they still fail to open. Take the box of and mount it on the backside of the heatshield on your intake. I had the same prob. and i have the same intake and when i moved the imrc box over to the intake and off the valve cover it hasnt failed since.
and regards to your sparkplug ? Everyone uses the stock double plat's. If you do a search im sure you can find a part #

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
#938868 04/26/04 02:13 AM
F
FJI Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Thanks for the info. Regarding the plugs, should I change them now or wait until 100K miles?

#938869 04/26/04 03:09 AM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by FJI:
Thanks for the info. Regarding the plugs, should I change them now or wait until 100K miles?

I was kinda wondering that myself. I'm at almost 80k and don't have a CEL or anything but acceleration just ain't what it used to be. I also live in an area with lots of dust and I'm thinking that might shorten the life of the plugs. All other maintainace is up to date.

98 Mystique LS DOB 06/97
#938870 04/26/04 04:55 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by MysticFreak:
Originally posted by FJI:

I was kinda wondering that myself. I'm at almost 80k and don't have a CEL or anything but acceleration just ain't what it used to be. I also live in an area with lots of dust and I'm thinking that might shorten the life of the plugs. All other maintainace is up to date.

Regular V-6, or SVT both get the double plats. Every 60k or sooner is reasonable. Same with the plug wires. Here's the scoop from many years of research by all the ancient & learned CEGers for your benefit:

Plugs in no particular order, so price them out:
Motorcraft double plats (don't know part #)
Autolite APP764 double plats

Wires in order of preference:
Magnecore
Stock Motorcraft
Autolite Pro series

These choices are definately worth locating, installing, & will serve you well. Anything else & you're experimenting.

Ford racing wires, while some have had good luck with them, most will tell you they're hit-or-miss (pun intended ).

Good luck.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#938871 06/12/04 02:36 AM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
still nobody answered the question about how to tell if the are or are not working. I did the Berryman's B-12 thing on my
SE yesterday and now I swear the powerband is different. Seems doggier. Also dismantled and cleaned TB very good with new gasket of course. Seems like low end power is lesser and don't feel any secondary kick. I woner if I goofed up the IMRC by manually tweaking the secondaries with my finger down there. I have pop'd the cover off of the IMRC and as far as I can tell the gears, motor and cable are fine. Did I goof something up? How to test the IMRC? Can you test it in the driveway?

#938872 06/12/04 04:40 PM
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
Well if you look down on the drivers side of the engine you should be able to see the linkage that activates the butterfly valves. I just grabbed the trottle plate and gave it some gas, and I could clearly see it moving.

-------------------------------------------- Matt
#938873 06/12/04 07:14 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
ok I'll try it and at least that will tell me if it moves. My concern is that maybe I through it off and now for example it could always be somewhat open and the computer wouldn't be able to tell etc. Not sure how the computer would read the home 'closed' position or maybe the spring will always return i to the home position and there is no worry. I also bought some Berryman's B-12 (last time I used seafoam only cuz I couldn't find the Berrymans). I don't suppose there is any harm in cleaning i twice in a row and then changing the oil. Oughta be pretty clean then. Also put a can of Berryman's in the tank too.

#938874 06/14/04 12:32 AM
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
Where could I buy Berryman's locally? VIP didn't have it.

-------------------------------------------- Matt
#938875 06/14/04 01:47 AM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Wal-Mart has it, Pep-Boys has it, those are the 2 that I know of for sure..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard