#945591 05/03/04 12:22 PM
F
FJI Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Help!
I lost my transaxle last night, (99 CSVT) and need to replace it. Question is, before I take it to a repair shop I need to know what the differences are between a CSVT trans if any as compared to a standard Contour transaxle?
I have been told the clutch is larger (may as well replace while it is out) but is the transaxle itself any different? Is there a stronger unit to replace it with?
I only got 5 runs out of the car before it blew. I have owned it since it had only 18K on it and this is the first time I have ever drag raced it. I was only coming out of the hole at 3K. It still has reverse but that is it!
I need the infor ASAP so I can get it into a shop.
Thanks

CEG\'er
CEG\'er
As far as I know, your right about there only being slight differences between the transmissions. Clutch, Flywheel, PP, and shift forks are different on the svt when compared to the regualr 2.5L MTX-75. The SVT transmission is actually most like the Cougar's unit. I reposted this under the transmission thread, those guys will know more about it than I.
Sean

'99 Silver SVT Contour (2000 miles since June, now needs new front brakes and bearings) '98 CBR900RR Again (Put away for the winter)
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
The SVT trans and non SVT trans are the same.

There are many upgrades available for that trans. If you are buying a wrecking yard trans, it is usually best to find the newest one you can. Since they continued building Cougars for two more years don't forget looking at them as well. The biggest factory revision came early in the 2000 model year so the best wrecing yard trans would be a 2001 or 2002 Cougar.

You really should read through the trans forum posts, especially the pin up posts.

The only really weak point on the MTX75 is the final drive spyder gears. The best upgrade to strengthen this is to install either a Torsen or Quaffe limit slip unit.

Do a little homework on the trans forum and you can learn all you need to know and then some.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Big Jim:
The SVT trans and non SVT trans are the same.

There are many upgrades available for that trans. (syncros, forks, beefer shafts, stonger trans gears, shifter tower, etc)
The biggest factory revision came early in the 2000 model year so the best wrecking yard trans would be a 2001 or 2002 Cougar.

You really should read through the trans forum posts, especially the pin up posts.

The only really weak point on the MTX75 is the final drive spyder gears. The best upgrade to strengthen this is to install either a Torsen or Quaffe limit slip unit.

Do a little homework on the trans forum and you can learn all you need to know and then some.

Very well put.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
F
FJI Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Is the Cougar trans a direct bolt in or are there modifications involved?

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
For a 98 and newer it is a direct bolt in.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited

Link Copied to Clipboard