Next Thread
Print Thread
F
FJI Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
OK so i puked my transaxle and now I have to quickly get the car back on the road. It's my only ride. I already have an appointment at a shop that is willing to do the work. What I want is for someone to give me an idea of a fairly good compromise between and expensive speciality trans for a high HP engine and an affordable stronger than factory unit which shouldnt break so easily. I don't want this thing to break again! FYI I am not planning on modifying the engine with the exception of intake and exhaust improvements.
What breaks in these things anyway? After it let go at the drags,I have a slight grinding noise when I let the clutch out in 1st or 2nd with a sound like gears are just barely touching each other.The car will move a little in 3rd from a dead stop before it sort of slips out and makes the same sound. Like trying to put the car in gear without the clutch fully depressed but quieter. Reverse is fine.
I dumped the clutch at 3grand at the strip and that is all she wrote. Nothing leaking and nothing clattering around when I put it in the gears. It just doesnt move.
HELP and Recommendations for a replacement??????????????????If so who does my mechanic contact to purchase?
Are the newer Cougar units any stronger. I need to know quickly because the garage is going to tear the car down this Thursday May 6. I run the car probably once a year at the strip. Matter of fact this is the first time in 2 years I have ever ran this car. 5 runs and boom. Did get some wheelhop but not real bad. Can anyone tell me what broke? I am baffled because of the lack of noises or a cracked case.
THanks for the help

Last edited by FJI; 05/04/04 03:10 AM.
V
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
V
Torsen or Quaife LSD. Will add about $600 to your rebuild. Get a Quaife from BAT or SP Motorsports and a Torsen from an authorized Ford Racing Parts Dealer- just don't expect them to install it.

Also, get the revised shift tower from the Focus, search for the part number.

Get the updated shifter forks, search for those numbers, too. Cheap. Practically necessary.

And finally, find someone who is selling an extra Steeda short shifter + spacer that they might have laying around. $105 shipped if you find the right people. This one isn't necessary, just more fun.

*Oh yeah, as to what breaks.... IIRC, most cases involve breaking the diff.

Last edited by vudusvt; 05/04/04 04:47 AM.

-Chuck Dienzo Black 98.5 E1 SVT #5022 of 6535 Born on March 16, 1998 "If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard