Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
U
OP Offline
U
Ok like the title says I decided to go with the vortech I am going to do the exhaust first bassani and y pipe is it worth getting headers for the car, because Im getting the vortech. What else will I need with the Vortech? I know I need to relocate the battery to the trunk, Do I need a mass air with the vortech and how reliable will my car be with the added horsepower will it hold up or what areas do I need to worry about? I am also thinking that instead of the FMU I would like to do bigger injectors and chip is this smart?

99 black SVT, my other form of transportation will be an F-18
W
W
Well larger injectors & maf aren't really needed unless you start tuning and adding on to make even more power.
Chip comes with the Vortech so no need to buy one... Leave the FMU in, its there for a reason.

Before you drop the money for the SC check your fuel system because if you have the returnless setup the SC will not work on your car.
-Mark

You can do something for Love...
You can do something for Money...
But there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of Spite.
GTExtreme1@aol.com
D
D
the headers wont fit the SVT due to clearance issues w/ the larger radiator, thought you should know

2000 Silver SVT #1602
Check it out in the registry!
Mi Coche
C
C
Ohhh there Devil Dog!!!!!!!!
And Yat-Yas too.
Man do u really want to get the Supercharger for your car, man there other things out there, like the 3.0 that will give you the power like the supercharger will. Plus be cheaper too. I've been through this before about the diffrence,
Supercharger $3500.oo
Labor 10-14hr $1000.oo
LSD Quafie $1000.oo (est. with tranny drop)
total: $5500.00

3.0 Coversion $2000.00 (With Labor)
LSD Quafie $1000.00
Headers MSDS $650.00
Sho-Shop Y-pipe $150.00
cat back exhaust $500.00
total: $4300.00

but if you have any questions please call me at base (Camp Pendleton)DSN#3654372 laugh
oh thats Lcpl Chow too, Sir.............

Chow
1998 SVT #2263 of 6535
chowsvt@msn.com
T
T
Thier are headers for the naturally aspirated Tour as well as the S/C version. I don't know where Derk got his info. Chow how would the 3.0 match the S/C'd power. Mark put down 375 w/ his Tour at the crank. Also the Quaife is $595 plus labor FYI plus the labor is what Chow figured. I'd go S/C all the way.

"If you're pushing crazy I'm all full up here."

{Black '96 Contour SE MTX w/ over 126k on the clock}
· Get the skinny here.
· Need a 96-00 Ford Service Manual on CDROM?
U
OP Offline
U
OK I dont want to go with the 3.0 because to much down time on the car and I like the power gains I would get with the supercharger. Even if I did have returnless fuel lines I could use the Vortech because I had a 2000 mustang GT and had a supercharger on it the only difference is you dont use an FMU you use custom chip and bigger injectors. How are the reliability issues with the SVT internals and that much added power?

99 black SVT, my other form of transportation will be an F-18
W
W
I have about 10,000 miles on my SC. So far reliability has been pretty good.

As for the returnless fuel system, how are you planning on increasing the fuel pressure and flwo rate to the larger injectors without running into problems with the smart pump? a chip is a start, but a chip can only do so much... not to mention Vortech refuses to custom burns, so you are going end up spending an additional $125 to get it custom burnt for your setup. Then you might run the risk of having it not work.

Check your fuel system...
-Mark

You can do something for Love...
You can do something for Money...
But there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of Spite.
GTExtreme1@aol.com
C
C
Mark,

Are you using the fuel pump that Vortech supplied with the kit? what part number is it? Is it In-Line or In-Tank? one question you might be able to answer is this: If an in-line pump increases the pressure and the volume along the path, doesnt it have to suck in that same volume from the in-tank fuel pump? but if the in-tank (stock) fuel pump can only put out 20 gallons/hour, then how can the in-line pump put out 40 gallons/hour if it is only being sent that 20 gallons? I just dont understand.......

also, do you know if any in-tank replacement fuel pumps for our cars, rather than putting an OEM pump back in there...?

Nikolas

1999 Mercury Cougar V6
KKM Intake,SVT TB, SVT Upper/Lower, 19lb injectors, Diablo Chip, MSDS Headers, Custom Exhaust, B&M Short Shifter, Progress Lowering Springs, 18" Axis TC's, OMP Strut Bar, AAM 24mm Rear Sway Bar, Koni Struts

15.09 @ 91.54(corrected, pre-SVT conversion, DiabloChip, and Injectors)
V
V
Todras,

The Vortech spec'd MSDS headers won't fit the SVT- due to its larger radiator. Non-SVTs, though are good to go. I guess the bottom line is that if you've got an SVT, it's either SC or headers, not both.

USMC,

Did your GT also have a returnless fuel system? Was it a Vortech SC and install kit? I would triple check to see if your SVT has the returnless fuel.... Not trying to be an a$$, really, I would hate to see one of us waste upwards of 3 grand because of incompatibility.

-Chuck Dienzo
"Taxation WITH representation isn't so hot either!"
Black 98.5 SVT, lightly modded
Born on 3/16/98
F
F
WRONG!

The SuperCharger spec headers from MSDS will work with a little adjustment to the oil cooler. Someone on the board has done this and could probably explain better, but you basically remove the oil cooler and replace it with an aftermarket unit.

Best Regards,

Trevor Cole

New Edge Cougar Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard