Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Yeah, I was using it in my last car (ethenol) because it was cheaper. Unfortunately, I can;t find the super ethenol anywhere...the only place that has it near me is the MacEwan, but it's only 89 octane. I think the gov't is imposing some mandate that all gasoline have a certain amount of ethonol content by a certain time.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I see the same mileage and live in the same climate as you. I have a 4 cylinder automatic,with about 110 000km,recent plugs and wires,new air filter,good tires etc etc,it's in perfect running order and I see anywhere from 280-375km to a tank. I think it's just that it has a small tank,I beleive around 45L,since it doesn't cost me much to fill up. I just run 87 octane in it,and in the summer my gas milage gets a little better,seeing up to 425. When I took delivery of my car in July,it was driven from Ottawa to Missisauga and on a single tank managed 510km. Since then,I've never seen it surpass 425.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Ray:
In the case of the SVT, premium fuel is required because of the timing of the car. Placing anything lower will save you a few cents on gas, however, the timing will be cut to compensate for this, your car will be in "safe-mode", so to speak, and you will lose any benefits you just gained from getting cheaper gas, because you now get worse mileage and have to fill up MORE OFTEN.

Ray

Would running 87 in an SVT cause a too lean condition or bad mileage? The owner of the vehicle prior to me stated he never put premium in it and it ran just fine. So I have never put it in there despite it saying on the guage "premium fuel only" Same thing with my dad's 2000 GT mustang - he never puts it in there and it runs great.

Just wondering.

E0 #4384 of 6535 Born Jan. 9 1998 My SVT from the ashes 147,466 miles, purchased Nov. 2002 @ 76,559 miles
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
At the risk of opening a large can of worms, I'll throw my 2C worth into the mix:

I assume that when you say "Ethanol" you are actually referring to gasohol, a mixture of 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline. If you where to run pure ethanol you would consume roughly twice the volume of liquid in the same number of miles (kilometers) as gasoline. This is because ethanol contains roughly half the potential heat energy as gasoline.

On the plus side, ethanol has a much higher octane rating than does gasoline. If memory serves, it is about 110 octane in its pure form. Adding about 10% ethanol to gasoline will raise the resulting octane rating by around 2 points, IE: an 87 octane pure gasoline would become about 89 octane with 10% ethanol added. Ethanol has a great ability to absorb water; this is why it is used as the main component in gas drying additives. Ethanol also contains free oxygen which will promote the more complete combustion of the hydrocarbons that are present in the combustion chamber. This means the fuel and any oil that finds its way past the rings and valve guides. Generally speaking, gasohol will help clean-up the tailpipe on higher mileage vehicles.

Cars can use a 10% ethanol mix with usually no issues at all. Cars built back in the sixties and seventies sometimes had problems with gasohol due to seals and hoses that would react to the ethanol by swelling and distorting. Current production vehicles have been designed with gasohol in mind and will almost without exception work fine with gasohol.

Gasohol should not affect your car's running rich or lean much, if at all. It could allow the PCM to call for slightly more fuel than with non-gasohol, but this would only be due to the fact that the combustion process would be more complete. This increase in fuel per pound of air would be offset by the rise in combustion efficiency.

This is all based on a graduate level mechanical engineering class I took back in the 1979 era at Purdue University on combustion and air pollution.

'96 SE 2.5 V6 ATX, Willow Frost Metallic 10-hole '84 Mustang 15x7 wheels w/ Dunlop 225/50-15's CSVT air intake components with K&N cone filter Optimized TB Gutted Pre-cats w/MIL eliminators
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
The car will run 'fine', but you will get more out of a tank of premium, although it costs more. I did a test on my probe gt. I ran a tank of regular, and then a tank of premium. I got more miles out of the premium than the tank of reg. The difference at the time for a tank was around $5.00, the tank taking around 30-35 to fill. So, to me the higher price was cancelled out by the increase in gas milage. It just seemed with the premium, I had to give the car less 'gas' to make it go. Again, I am not an expert, just going from my experience.
You should see a bit of a 'performance' increase as the car is timed for premium (high compression also which means the fuel burns at a higher temp).
It is hard to say what it would do over time, but running cheap gas could at the very least rob you of a little power, cause your intake to gunk up a little faster, or even cause your o2 sensors to go prematurely etc. Also, you may have unburnt fuel leaking into your oil over time, even at slight amounts would require you to change oil more often and reduce the effectiveness of the oil.
I am sure the manufacturer has a reason for it. If you think about it, selling a car that is advertised requiring premium fuel is actually a deterrent for buying the car, so the manufacturer most likely has a pretty good reason for suggesting a certain grade of fuel.
I plan on keeping my car for a few years, and it is getting on in years, so I want to prevent as many problems as possible....and the few extra bucks a tank is worth that to me.

D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by tktrain:
At the risk of opening a large can of worms, I'll throw my 2C worth into the mix:

I assume that when you say "Ethanol" you are actually referring to gasohol, a mixture of 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline. If you where to run pure ethanol you would consume roughly twice the volume of liquid in the same number of miles (kilometers) as gasoline. This is because ethanol contains roughly half the potential heat energy as gasoline.

On the plus side, ethanol has a much higher octane rating than does gasoline. If memory serves, it is about 110 octane in its pure form. Adding about 10% ethanol to gasoline will raise the resulting octane rating by around 2 points, IE: an 87 octane pure gasoline would become about 89 octane with 10% ethanol added. Ethanol has a great ability to absorb water; this is why it is used as the main component in gas drying additives. Ethanol also contains free oxygen which will promote the more complete combustion of the hydrocarbons that are present in the combustion chamber. This means the fuel and any oil that finds its way past the rings and valve guides. Generally speaking, gasohol will help clean-up the tailpipe on higher mileage vehicles.

Cars can use a 10% ethanol mix with usually no issues at all. Cars built back in the sixties and seventies sometimes had problems with gasohol due to seals and hoses that would react to the ethanol by swelling and distorting. Current production vehicles have been designed with gasohol in mind and will almost without exception work fine with gasohol.

Gasohol should not affect your car's running rich or lean much, if at all. It could allow the PCM to call for slightly more fuel than with non-gasohol, but this would only be due to the fact that the combustion process would be more complete. This increase in fuel per pound of air would be offset by the rise in combustion efficiency.

This is all based on a graduate level mechanical engineering class I took back in the 1979 era at Purdue University on combustion and air pollution.

yep, an ethonol blended gas. only drawback I heard is that it clogs your fuel filter more often.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by dutchie:

yep, an ethonol blended gas. only drawback I heard is that it clogs your fuel filter more often.

The clogging is likely a result of the alcohol acting as solvent and dissolving varnish deposits in the tank and lines. This should stop after a while after the ethanol has "cleaned up" the fuel system. You might consider using a good fuel system cleaner in a couple of tanks before making the switch.

'96 SE 2.5 V6 ATX, Willow Frost Metallic 10-hole '84 Mustang 15x7 wheels w/ Dunlop 225/50-15's CSVT air intake components with K&N cone filter Optimized TB Gutted Pre-cats w/MIL eliminators
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Cool, Im gonna try filling up with 89 next fill up...see if it does better. Right now I get about 280 miles to the tank....maybe I can beat my record of 340 miles to the tank (28mpg).

E0 #4384 of 6535 Born Jan. 9 1998 My SVT from the ashes 147,466 miles, purchased Nov. 2002 @ 76,559 miles
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Don't waste your time.

As already stated in this post, and NUMEROUS other posts.. the lower octane will cause worse mileage, a potential for greater build-up of carbon in the UIM/LIM, and premature wear on sensors, etc..

Learn the easy way, with compiled knowledge from around the country (CEG) instead of the hard way, on purpose..

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Use the octane level that the car was designed to use. I was only responding to the gasohol (ethanol) remarks in my earlier posts. Oh, and keep the intakes cleaned up!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard